• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

V1P3R_Z029

Oakley Beginner
So, I purchased an Oakley Juliet (2nd hand) on Ebay quite a while ago. Upon receiving, I found the stock Unobtainium Ear Socks to be all 'liquidy'/ having some sort of slippery residue. Unfortunately, this wasn't disclosed by the seller and before I knew it he couldn't be contacted anymore. 😑

I took them off the ear stems and decided to run them through water. But the weird residue wasn't coming off at all! Even tried wiping it off with tissues/cloth repeatedly, but then the residue just reappears.
1b_Unobtanium Rubber Socks .jpg

Anybody have any ideas what's going on with them? Also, any recommendations on where I could possibly find a replacement pair of Unobtainium Ear socks?
1a_Unobtanium Rubber Socks.jpg

1c_Unobtanium Rubber Socks.jpg

Thanks all! ☮️

If you want stock just post something in the exchange. Juliet socks are pretty common. If you are ok with aftermarket and want other color choices then Linegear is the place to look.

If you want stock just post something in the exchange. Juliet socks are pretty common. If you are ok with aftermarket and want other color choices then Linegear is the place to look.
Thanks for the recommendation!
Yeah, I'm just racking my posts at the moment to gain the membership privileges (without purchasing hahahaha).
But it would be great if someone could educate me on why these rubber ear socks acting this way... 🤔

Dish soap does the trick for me.

Wet your glasses with mild water, lather hands with dish soap, massage glasses with fingers (lenses, rubbers, etc.), wash off, pat dry with clean cloth. 👌

I wear all my pairs, so I've experienced many of these 'breakdowns'. I guess the older the rubber gets, coupled with your own bodies sweat, degrades them over time. There are ways to extend the life of rubbers a little like the tip @Codechimp08 mentioned above. That's worked for me. But if it gets too bad then replacement is certainly the next option.
:cool-33:🤙

I'd appreciate it if someone could explain to me why these rubber ear socks are behaving in this way.
Sweat and skin oils are the main reason.
Everyone has more or less aggressive sweat.
Probably based on the diet.
But high humidity and heat could also contribute.
The rubber parts are wearing parts and must be changed regularly.
The Earsocks on my O3 RX frame last about 10 months with min. 16hour of daily wear.

Last edited:
Back