• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

No more O-Review?

I guess Dan's had enough. He's given a great 13+ years to the community.

I guess we ALL get jaded when we don't get thanked for the stuff we do for our job, or for free or in our marriages. Lack of thanks/being taken for granted probably accounts for a large amount of divorces, I guess!!!

Who's up for starting a new database from scratch?!!

I hope Dann comes around in time and brings the site back up. I also hope he knows how much he has contributed to the Oakley collecting hobby and how much it is appreciated, and that it is not taken for granted. Without the O Review pioneering this as an organized hobby, we would not be as knowledgable as we are.

The site filled a niche for the high end seasoned expert collectors. It is where you go when you have been collecting for three decades and have seen everything, but want to learn even more. There is a vacuum without them. Hopefully the Oakley Forum will get more of the high end experts and grow to fill the gap one day, but the O Review will be missed until then.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
This is stealing
I'm not trying to redistribute his site, or put it all up here so that there's no need for his site. I was saying that's probably his train of thought, that someone wants to take all of his work and put it up somewhere, like here. And I can assure you, a copy of an entire website isn't something I could just email over to you. That's why I said save what you can, because I'm not saving it for you

If you screenshot a page from there, is that stealing? To have a copy for yourself? Is using the "make webpage available offline" stealing? Its the same thing. I just wanted a copy of it all in case something happened. I do it for everything. In this sense, I don't agree that it's stealing. Stealing implies that it's not free to the public to begin with.

I do get why he's upset, but it wasn't with ill intent. And honestly, it's not my fault he doesn't feel appreciated. There's a fine line between all of us saying I appreciate you, and bringing traffic to the site.
I do appreciate his work, that's why I wanted a copy

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Mixed take on this...

I can believe that some people legitimately sought to take the content just for the sake it's not entirely lost. Still, it was pretty obnoxious to start taking captures and urging others the second he puts it up without even giving him a chance to formally introduce it. I don't even know if he was done setting it up. It's like playing with a Lego set someone wasn't done building yet.

But I also think Dann could've done without the antagonizing comments. Seemingly said in the moment and probably could've been toned down. Don't get me wrong: He had every right to take it down and be offended. S*** would make any reasonable person mad, but he kinda stooped to the level of the assumed worst of people trying to rip him. I'm assuming he originally came into making it without expecting a dime or anything (unless I missed something), and it does rub off like he backpedals on that sentiment when he has to highlight the whole "get little in return". He's actually stating facts, but I think it wrongly depicts the classy guy I'd think he is.

End of the day. I respect his decision. He put in the work to persevere when things were really slowing down, wrongly got his site attacked, considered it his out to finally relax....and yet he came back tried to do a solid for people anyway by trying to bring it back, only to have people pounce on it. I said it before in this thread: at least get his consent before doing anything with his resources. Now the stuff is technically Oakley's own property, so I'm not sure what legal protections he has to start for the database. It's not his property but it was the result of his relentless work. I don't know if anyone said "hey, mind if I save a copy for myself for" — whatever intent, at least have him know. Links to his media outlets and account (albeit inactive) were provided. I'm pretty sure it's not impossible to reach him. Did anyone bother trying? Doesn't sound like it.

In the simple context of Oakley's, you probably wouldn't like it if someone just took a nice/rarer pair off your shelf and handled/wore it without asking — even if they're the most careful person on the planet and your best friend. They were short of giving you any respect, as with in this situation.

Coincidentally today I just signed off on my work being republished with no monetary incentive. Not to brag or anything (really, it's not that great of a piece; there's a reason why I'm not looking for money lol) but it's literally going to be in book stores for people to buy. If the company did that crap under my nose, even if there was some inheritance of legal terms or whatever that I failed to catch before that deems they could do so...or if they did it thinking I'd likely never catch it (which I'll admit, isn't a far-fetched assumption), I would be peeved. They took the initiative to reach out to me. Kinda crazy how they did, but I can appreciate that they did so. Literally asking multiple people on FB with the same name as myself. If that's how much they wanted to use my work in the most ethical way possible (they had no contact info to work off of otherwise), then I'm somewhat humbled.

So... someone thought he was clever enough to download a full website and make a good use of it ?

Do you have any idea how a website work ?
Do you know what a database is ?
Do you realize that you won't be able to make anything close to what O-Review was, even with the full website stolen from thousands of hours from its creator and thousands of contribution by knowledgeable members ?

Trying to steal a website like this just proves that you have no clue about how the whole thing works.
Stupid as **** move ...

I'm not trying to redistribute his site, or put it all up here so that there's no need for his site. I was saying that's probably his train of thought, that someone wants to take all of his work and put it up somewhere, like here. And I can assure you, a copy of an entire website isn't something I could just email over to you. That's why I said save what you can, because I'm not saving it for you

If you screenshot a page from there, is that stealing? To have a copy for yourself? Is using the "make webpage available offline" stealing? Its the same thing. I just wanted a copy of it all in case something happened. I do it for everything. In this sense, I don't agree that it's stealing. Stealing implies that it's not free to the public to begin with.

I do get why he's upset, but it wasn't with ill intent. And honestly, it's not my fault he doesn't feel appreciated. There's a fine line between all of us saying I appreciate you, and bringing traffic to the site.
I do appreciate his work, that's why I wanted a copy

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Please just don't try to justify you with dumb arguments.
You just did a selfish move and bragged about it here and now you say you didn't do it for people here.

Who doesn't feel appreciated ? Dann ?! You must be kidding.
There's only one reason why O-Review might not have been appreciated by some people. It's not a place where you can scalp people the ebay style.
Do that make Dann less appreciated ? ******* hell no ! He's one of the most respected Oakley collector. Not because he owns a stupid trillion M-Frame or Radar, but because he has been the most dedicated person to Oakley without receiving or asking anything in return !

Still, you disrespect his work and are proud of it.

Yeah, I'll be honest, I'm pretty pissed to see people were basically pulling all of the data. I've been collecting for about 10 years or so. Dann instantly made it a lot easier for me to understand everything and to get a good idea of all the pairs out there. Within the Oakley community I have done more than just talk about sunglasses. I'm thankful to have made friends both here and on O-Review. Dann is one of the best people in the community and has seriously contributed so much time and effort, more than pretty much anyone in this community. From his database to his video reviews, he has worked his butt off to be as helpful as possible.

Doing any kind of crap like pulling his data and openly bragging about how easy it was is a pretty bad thing to do. I can't even imagine how Dann feels at this point. I don't care if you had no ill intent. You pulled his data and to me that's stealing. He has put so much time into the site and has been trying to fix it and it just gets ripped out. I really thought this community had people that were above doing stuff like this, but it seems like I was wrong.

Yeah, I'll be honest, I'm pretty pissed to see people were basically pulling all of the data. I've been collecting for about 10 years or so. Dann instantly made it a lot easier for me to understand everything and to get a good idea of all the pairs out there. Within the Oakley community I have done more than just talk about sunglasses. I'm thankful to have made friends both here and on O-Review. Dann is one of the best people in the community and has seriously contributed so much time and effort, more than pretty much anyone in this community. From his database to his video reviews, he has worked his butt off to be as helpful as possible.

Doing any kind of crap like pulling his data and openly bragging about how easy it was is a pretty bad thing to do. I can't even imagine how Dann feels at this point. I don't care if you had no ill intent. You pulled his data and to me that's stealing. He has put so much time into the site and has been trying to fix it and it just gets ripped out. I really thought this community had people that were above doing stuff like this, but it seems like I was wrong.

The guy who did it is a noob and a dumbass.
:ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back