• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

For Sale Oakley Branded Original Display Case - LED Lighting, Air Filteration, Turntable, idock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Username Hidden said:
Sorry...I don't agree....I have been able to find loads of countertops for sale...and not many free standing....although It just probably depends on what is out there at the time you look...
Maybe it a regional thing because cubes and counters are harder to find around here than single and doubles...

Proper circles of collectors will always be able to find a decent case

Some people reacted to this post.
I like the air filtration idea. Ive actually thought about adding one to mine.

Username Hidden said:
I like the air filtration idea. Ive actually thought about adding one to mine.

Hey there...

Would be happy to sell you the instructions and materials list and also for the sealing aspect etc too...might make the job a lot easier for you...it will also give you a good guide on how much it will cost you to do it....inbox me if you are interested...

I've kept waffling back and forth on whether I wanted to chime in here...

In general and in practice, discussion in sale threads is frowned upon, especially criticisms of the pricing. But, reviewing the exchange rules, what it specifically says is:

"Stay on topic - Please try to stay on topic in the exchange area, people post here to buy/sell/trade items. Discussion about the product in hand pertaining to buying/selling or trading it is great, but try to keep it on topic."

So in reality some discussion is allowed, as long as it's pertaining to buying or selling the product in hand, which can be a grey area, what actually qualifies as such.

That said, I decided to offer my .02...

Customizing can be a tricky venture, especially from the aspect of ROI (return on investment). Let's look at houses as an analogy.

Upgrading kitchens and/or bathrooms, if done right, will typically add more value to the house than the investment to upgrade. Great ROI. Then there's other areas where an upgrade will increase the house value, but only enough to break even with your investment. No ROI there, but not a loss, either. And then there's sometimes a customization to fit the owner's specific needs or tastes that ends up actually devaluing the house, or at least narrowing the potential customer base to those who'd appreciate such customization. If you don't find such a customer, then you won't end up recouping your investment.

And then there's the great example of adding a swimming pool. Swimming pools are great; they can make a house much more appealing (at least to those who don't know what a maintenance nightmare a pool can be), but they not only have no ROI, they're typically a financial loss - you can easily spend $30K - $50K putting in a pool, but typically it ends up adding little to no value to the house. What you get instead is the enjoyment of having a pool, at least while you're still living there.

Looking at Oakleys specifically, there's a lot of DIY/modding going on, to the sunglasses themselves. We'll ignore restoration work for right now, since that's not a relevant analogy. Instead, let's look at custom frames.

It can be an expensive exercise - start with a $300 frame, add $140 for polar custom cuts, add $40 - $120 for colored rubbers (aftermarket vs. OEM), add $80 - $150 for refinishing (from a cerakote job to a plating job). You end up being all-in from $560 - $710, once you're done.

Then you see someone trying to resell one of those customs down the road, looking to just get their initial investment back, damn any ROI. Do they sell for that much? No, never - best price is usually $400 - $450. An appreciation in value, but not enough to recoup the investment.

So customizing a frame can be like adding a swimming pool - you won't get your investment back, but what you do get is the enjoyment of using that pair while you have them.

For display cases, though? IDK - I've seen a lot of custom non-OEM cases, I've seen a lot of OEM cases, but an OEM case that's been heavily customized (and I don't mean restored) is kinda an unique beast, in my experience.

Which of the above examples applies here? I can't say, but much of the feedback so far points toward the swimming pool / custom frames analogy. But maybe it's the "narrowed customer base" analogy, and it's just the matter of finding the right customer, one willing to forego a large chunk of $$ that could be spent on more Oaks for a case with these upgrades instead.

But it does seem the main sticking point is how much value these customizations add to the case - I'm having trouble thinking of an example of anything where customizations, regardless of the investment, quadrupled the value compared to a stock counterpart.

GLWS

...or to put it another way; did it sell....? - no

Username Hidden said:
...or to put it another way; did it sell....? - no

In actual fact...we had a very interested buyer on the phone this morning...he will probably make an offer later today...so stay tuned...:rolleyes:

Also....we actually only had it on eBay and on here for 7 days no other place...we didn't expect it to sell straight off...people need to get their head around the modifications etc...but it will sell...

I agree that there is definitely a right buyer for this out there. Probably someone that has like 3 pair of every frame made and still has money to spend. ;)

They've just gotta be patient and seek out the guy.

What I'm really interested to see is how it holds up after shipping. I'd only trust a true freight shipper for the job. That fedex home delivery guy in my neighborhood would destroy it lol

I do hope it sells soon. I'm very interested to what it gets filled with and even more interested to see version 2.0. I can't see the creative mind behind this just doing the same thing over.

this piece will sell, and probably for more than asking price...

it's just too flashy and appealing to NOT get in your collection.....

Does it spin the other way if youre below the equator?

Before this gets locked, I just have to say, I stopped reading at "I can find great sunglasses at Walmart."

I think you're misreading the feedback. It looks like most people agree that this is awesome. I just think think people would be more likely to customize a case on their own. The excessive money spent on the glasses is due to high quality eyewear, that doesn't translate into spending the same equivalent on a case customized by someone else.

Like I said, the right buyer is out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back