• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Polarized Good/Bad for Youth?!?

Not what is being preached by the American Optometric Society folks. But, use your judgement people :).

Polarized lenses aren't darker than regular lenses, they filter reflected (polarized and scattered) light. Polarized lenses come in almost every color, shade, and darkness now. Transitions (photochromatic lenses) are the # 1 recommended lenses for children in the United States. Also, just because we need a little bit of sunlight for our skin andbodies to produce vitamin D doesn't mean we wouldn't wear sunblock. Right?

Hello Chris, nice to meet you.

Well I disagree talking about the darkness of a polarized lens. The nature of polarization means darkness. Polarized lenses are made in diferents ways, but the usual is to incorporate a very thin film before the last Hard Coating. The polarized film provides and "extra dark tone" (sorry for my English, I hope you understand what I mean) So the lenses that have the film are usually darker. A polarized lens must have at least a 20% of light absorption, and a Full Polarized lens must have 50%

Of course there are a lot of tones and colours in polarized lenses, but they are "less tinted" to achieve the desired tone.

There are companies who are trying yo make the clearest polarized lenses possible, but they are not for the "massive sunglasses public".

Talking about eyes protection/skin protection comparation I think they are different issues. What I say is that a child´s eye must "learn" to react to the light or the absence of it. If not, the photophobia can be a problem for them.

Thank you and apologies for my english,

Thanks restorer.......yeah, i got several Polarized brand sunglasses, lenses are prety good, but the frames are rather weak, but of course they don´t charge a boatload of money for them either, so you can´t really complain that much. Mine were purchased in europe, i wonder if different models are released in europe compared to the US.

Regarding Oakley polarized lenses, is the polarized oakley lenses not just a coating on the outside of the lens, where other manufacturers put the polarized coating "inside" or rather in the middle of the lens so it won´t wear/peel off the lens ?

I didn´t want to talk about the frames, please don´t wind me up.:behindsofa:

Well, you make me sweat with your questions, Lol. Oakley says that their polarized lenses are unique and made in an "only layer". So I understand that they don´t use the polarized film.

I trust them, their lenses are not cheap, so they must have this property.

See you

[QUOTE="Tomtucker, post: 698737, member: 7503]

Regarding Oakley polarized lenses, is the polarized oakley lenses not just a coating on the outside of the lens, where other manufacturers put the polarized coating "inside" or rather in the middle of the lens so it won´t wear/peel off the lens ?[/QUOTE]
I believe Oakley has an outsourced the filter production. When they receive the filter they then would the lens around the filter. Thus making it one homogeneous lens ... and not a sandwich style lens where there's more of a risk for flaws, distortion and imperfections (think of the bread of a sandwich and the filter is the meat)

Does anyone else think this thread has taken a turn for the worse?
@Sunglasses Restorer USA you can disagree all you like. That definitely doesn't make you correct. Please go do more research and come back with comments later. Polarized lenses can be made in all 4 categories by European standards. So a Grey 1 would be lighter, Grey 2 medium, Grey 3 standard driving darkness, and category 4 (very dark, not recommended for driving, occupational).
Also, Transitions Vantage is a lens sold in the USA that is photochromatic and variably polarized. So it's virtually clear indoors and has an 80% shade/polarized outdoors! It has special molecules within the plastic material that when stimulated by light or photons change structure and form into microscopic parallel chains to produce a polarized light blocking effect.
To be honest I have never fully understood how Oakley claims to have their polarized fused in the lens. However, I am not concerned with how they manufacture it just the fact that they do not delaminate like other lenses that are laminated. Making them superior! Polaroid makes pretty good lenses by most people's standards but they are not on par with Oakley. The frames Polaroid uses are especially weak in comparison to Oakley. The closest competitor in quality as far as lenses go would be Maui Jim in my opinion. They have the advantage of a backside anti-reflective coating. Which Oakley does put on every pair of Oakley digital RX prescription lenses!
The coatings on Oakley aren't polarized, they are mirror "iridium TM" coatings. There serve a different purpose and maybe @kronin323 can guide us to that link?
Don't raise your babies in caves wearing polarized lenses folks!

Wow. :rolleyes:

Chris is right. The category 1 - 4 classifications are based on overall light transmission %; it doesn't matter whether or not they are polarized, and all four categories can be (or not be) polarized. And yes, in some countries it's actually illegal to drive using category 4 sunglasses, which is classified as 8% or lower light transmission (ever notice that the darkest Oakley ever makes their lenses is 9%?)

And the polarization layer is not tinted, it doesn't make it darker. It does reduce the light transmission %, but it does it by blocking light coming from a specific orientation. In the case of sunglasses, the polarization orientation is typically set to block light reflected up from below, to reduce glare.

As lexkempo said, with Oakley lenses the polarization layer is fused into the lens instead of sandwiched on like with everybody else, which prevent delamination and eliminates the need for a glue layer between the two.

Oakley does have an anti-reflective coating on the inside (wearer's side) of the lenses, and unfortunately it has been known to delaminate.

The iridium is the mirror coating on the outside of the lenses. It's marketed as reducing glare but really it just hides the eyes and looks cool.

With all due respect, sunglasses restorer, I hope the incorrect info you posted is just a case of mistranslation. Because the definition of polarization you stated is quite wrong.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back