• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Polarized or non-polarized lens?

If I wear polarized I can't read the gas pump display (LCD), and my iPhone display looks all weird. I also see all of these weird spots on the back windows of cars in front of me. that I don't see otherwise. When I went fly fishing they were great I could see the fish!

Oakley used to, don't know if this is still true, make sure that the polarized blanks were adjusted to be at the same angle before cutting. The R&D dept. kept tabs on this. If the polarization between the 2 lenses are not oriented the same direction you will get headaches and eye strain. I have a bad pair of China Oakley's (Plaintiff Squared) that I quit wearing because the Pola made street reflections look 3D, bugged me a lot. It also made my eyes hurt.

I think most know about how you can take 2 pola camera filters and put them 180 to each other and it will result in opaque black. Having 2 eyes looking at different pola angles is not good.

I disagree, but to each their own. I notice a huge difference when driving during the day, or during my commute driving into the sun. It eliminates any glare from the inside of your windshield and coming off of other cars as well.

I would suggest just trying both pairs on and looking around, it really comes down to a preference thing.

Found this to help explain what i mean:

maxresdefault.jpg

Okay but you will see the tempered glass grid on your side and rear windows under very strong sunlight with your polarized lenses. That can't be good. Also you might have issues reading LCD displays on your headunit. Sucks even more when the polarized lenses don't come with backside AR.

Non-polarized lenses is what I prefer when I drive.

To reduce the glare further you can go with a mirror lens (what Oakley calls Iridium) or a top gradient mirror lens (the latter I'm not sure if Oakley offers this, it was more of a Ray-Ban Driving Series thing back in the day to allow a clearer view of the dashboard while blocking the sun up top with a simple tilt of the head).

Last edited:
I fish a lot, and that's literally the only reason why I have any polarized lenses by choice.

I hate using polarized lenses for driving because I can't see my car's HUD with them. Yeah, yeah, I know, modern convenience and all that, but not having to take my eyes off the road actually makes a huge difference for me.

Latest Posts

Back