• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Possibly A Record For An R1?

Hammered sold at 1.3K. What people do with their tax refund is their own business I guess!

I remember when the Icon claw caribineer key chains went for $99.00 all day long on Ebay. Especially when they were being bought for $5.00 each at the vaults......

I think this seller might have some friends help keep the price up during the bid. It's happens from time to time on E-bya when it comes to OAKLEY auction.

Strange things about these 2 items:
The describtion writen by the seller is quite identical in words: "I really can't stress enough that these are ..."; "frames Are Gun Metal, X-Metal "; "Lenses are Plasma fire, and are very rare, especially in this condition."; ......etc

Since most of the OAKLEY fans knows a little bit about X-metal's colour combos. Only a few will use "Gun metal" as frame color or "Plasma Fire" as lense color. So, these 2 describtion of listing is very likely writen by the same person.
Although these items are actually listed by 2 different seller, but both items and the describtions is very much the same, I would say the 1st listing was not actually SOLD to an real buyer!

MY guess is: This guy list " 190669910053 " first, and asked some of his friends to bid on it so he can kept the price going higher. When it went too far, and none of those real buyers bit on it anymore, he list the same item as " 110872902425 " again using his friend's (meybe) account even before the last one ended. When the last one ended with no one bought it for real, he is just trying to do the samething again...

Well, that's just my guess...I will also pay good price for a nice romeo in this condition, but not that kind of Crazy Good Price!

Maybe the seller was lucky enough to get 2 bidders drinking while bidding and they got attached to it and ran it up. The classic "get the right 2 bidders in the same room at the same time".

On a side note, while I was researching our friend Fun's Way's hypothesis- which has some merit with regard to content- I remembered back to the good old days of eBay. When you looked at bids placed for an item you would see the full user name and could click through to that user's feedback. I used to like that insight into an opponent, looking at purchases to get an idea of how serious they might be, ability to bid high, etc. Now you can't do that stuff.

The seller actually had purchased from SWININC a couple of years ago so I'm pretty sure what type of item that was and is located in Quebec. An the new lister also has some Oakley feedback too and interestingly from 2008 a purchase of a Romeo (from calvertijrm) and he says that he is in California. They are definately different folks. If the new seller had bid on the original item that would have cinched it, eh?

They're probably OakleyForum members though.

So who is it?

Back