• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Prescription Oakleys without inserts - what options do I have?

MKa

Oakley Beginner
Hello,

I am looking for new eyeglasses for everyday use (including nighttime driving), either with clear or photochromic lenses with close to 100% light penetration in dark environments.

I have tried Oakley's Flak 2.0 XL at a local optician's but, unfortunately, the frame felt too tight. (The optometrist proposed me some Rudy Project frames instead.) He told me he could not do much to get the Flak frame fit me any better but is that correct? I believe he mentioned something about the frame being metal even though multiple sources say it is plastic.

My biggest requirement is the ability to get my prescription on the lenses, NO inserts though. For this I have both aesthetic and practical reasons. (I have ESS Crossbows with an insert and they suck - either I wear them awkwardly low on my nose and the frame obstructs the upper part of the field of vision or I wear them high on my nose and my eyelashes grease the insert.) I do not have my current prescription yet but we are speaking of roughly -3 to -4 diopter with little or no cylinder and axis.

Preferably, I want a frame that resembles either Oakley Radar EV (prescription not possible without inserts AFAIK) or Flak 2.0 XL. Open at the bottom but the lenses supported from the top. The look should be semi-respectable - no "I'm from the 23rd century Mars" Jawbreakers.

I started with exactly what you're wanting. I picked up the Flak 2.0 with the darker photo chromatic lenses. I was fortunate that they fit me fine. I'm not sure what you could do to get them to fit any better. The lenses change pretty quick. I never really had an issue going from outside to inside or vice versa.

The frames are definitely plastic though!

Good luck whichever way you go.

20170908_071723.jpg

The Flak 2.0 frame is pretty large. Maybe try an Asian Fit set? They’re a little wider than the standard Flak 2.0 frame, may be more comfortable for you.

Can u just go with a full frame like Fuel Cell, or double edge they fit wider? You sound like you are just within the power range, but at the upper limit. So they might not work with your RX... If you do radar EV only part of the lens shield will have Rx lenses inserted.... Your eyes won't have as much peripheral sight. You could also try the Flak Draft it may fit sightly better.

Oakley plastic "o matter"frames typically aren't adjustable, very few like Ophthalmic frames can bend in the temple tip/ear sock area.

Good luck!

Hello, it's me again! It took some time but here we are with my prescription. Not too bad, after all. And by the way, I am in Europe (FIN) so I highly prefer to buy from EU to avoid customs duty and VAT (our VAT alone is 24%...).

OD: SF -2.00 CYL -0.50 AX 160
PD: 66

Things to consider (partly for my own record keeping):

-Flak Draft is more flexible on the sides than Flak 2.0. (1)
-Flak Draft Asia Fit seems to be quite a bit wider than the normal Flak Draft (1), apparently the same is true for Flak 2.0 as well.
-Oakley's generic European site does not want to deal with prescription Flaks.
-Regular Flak Draft (with clear to grey transition and prescription) can be had from the UK for quite a reasonable price of 405.99 EUR (incl. shipping) as long as they do not Brexit before the shipment arrives. (1)
-Extreme-eyewear.co.uk sells Flak 2.0 Asia Fit for a price of 427,72 EUR (incl. shipping) but it seems a bit shady... they have dozens of good reviews but it is definitely a small company. Has anybody experience dealing with them? (1)
-Flak Draft Asia Fit might be the ultimate option but who the hell sells them in Europe, or even to Europe? (Mail forwarding company in the US might be an option but I do not think I am going to bother.)

So which is it when the Flak 2.0 XL was too tight, Flak 2.0 Asia Fit or Flak Draft?

I am glad there are more members with RX Frame issues.

Ever since I signed up here, I am on the hunt for a cool Oakley RX Frame.
Not easy, since I do not like any of the metal frames currently sold by Lux.
And I want/need a Metal frame.
At the moment I am looking at the Half Wire XL. C-5 alloy frame as you all know.

The problem is, my current lenses are pretty new and quite expensive varifocals photochromic and I would like keep them.
I pretty sure the HW XL ist RX comp. because sites like Fuse o. Revant sell RX lenses for it.
But is the the HW XL Frame also comp. with varifocals ?
I will prob. end up having to purchase a HW XL , take the frame to my local Oakley Optician to measure my face, my old and the my new Frame.
My current frame is 58 - 15 ( I will not disclose the brand)
My lenses are 58x44mm. So there should be some material to cut away.
HW XL Lenses are 53x32mm. (The HW XL Frame is 53 - 21)
Not clear if that is measured from Hook to Hook or the lens main body.

I can only hope it's possible to fit my current lenses into the new frame or I added one more frame to my collection of frames I will never be able to wear just like my O3 Titanium.
That Frame is so cool but will not last the way I handel may glasses.

Back