• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!
just got the glasses today. Initial impressions are pretty much what DKO said. Daily Polarized filter, with a nicer looking Jade idirium/shallow water prizm look to the outside. I really think the maritime lens looks way better than both the Jade iridium and the shallow water prizm coating. but that is just personal taste I guess. I certainly think these are going to be my new everyday sport pair. If for whatever reason in a few weeks/months I find something note wortyh Ill try to repost.
Love the Maritime for cloudy conditions. Certainly works for brighter conditions as well though. Have them in a matte black Straightlink. It's what I grab on most overcast days now. Either that or VR28 BI Flak 2.0 in Woodland Camo.

After having my Maritime lenses for a little while now I have had a chance to wear them in a range of different conditions. I actually do not personally prefer them for the darker cloudy days. For those days I do find them too dark of a tint and far prefer my prizm road. But I actually really love the maritime lens for really bright sunny days. I wore them today and man do they make the colors pop! I own black iridium pol, titanium iridium pol, prizm road, ruby iridium pol and the maritime prizm pol, also have used jade iridium, fire iridium pol, as well as grey pol in the past ...the Maritime It is by far my favorite lens Ive used! It really is a spectacular lens for bringing out color contrasts!

After having my Maritime lenses for a little while now I have had a chance to wear them in a range of different conditions. I actually do not personally prefer them for the darker cloudy days. For those days I do find them too dark of a tint and far prefer my prizm road. But I actually really love the maritime lens for really bright sunny days. I wore them today and man do they make the colors pop! I own black iridium pol, titanium iridium pol, prizm road, ruby iridium pol and the maritime prizm pol, also have used jade iridium, fire iridium pol, as well as grey pol in the past ...the Maritime It is by far my favorite lens Ive used! It really is a spectacular lens for bringing out color contrasts!

Glad you were able to find a set of the lenses and are liking them so much. I love the versatility of the Maritimes! Definitely among my favorite lenses to look through.

This is going to be a long post... Sorry in advance!

How do the Prizm Maritime (Polarized), Prizm Daily (Polarized), and Black Iridium (Polarized) lenses all compare? I've never used a Prizm lens outside (only tried indoors in an Oakley store) which means I did not get the real effect of the lenses for actual use. I'm looking for a (potentially new) everyday carry lens and would like to know what is the best overall lens. I'm assuming the BIP will cut glare the most and be best for bright conditions, whereas the Prizm Daily and Maritime will be better for medium light conditions with increased contrast (making colors pop) and higher light transition, BUT I want someone to explain the differences to me descriptively.

An Oakley representative also informed me multiple times in a chat the Prizm Daily Polarized has 14% AND the Prizm Maritime polarized has 14% light transmission, compared to the BIP's 9%. AND "The Prizm Maritime have the same light transmission as the Prizm daily polarized." ̶B̶U̶T̶ ̶S̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶t̶e̶d̶,̶
"The Oakley SI Prizm Maritime Polarized collection was developed to specifically address the challenges of water environments. Utilizing formulated dye compounding technologies, the lens technology emphasizes colors most sensitive to the eyes across varying light conditions. SI Prizm Maritime Polarized reduces glare, and increases contrast and clarity, allowing the user to better navigate and see through the water. Oakley HD Polarized lenses block 99% of harsh glare and minimize eye strain. Our infusion molding process eliminates the glues, layering and distortion found in conventional polarized technology. Subdues overwhelming blues found in open water. ̶1̶2̶%̶ ̶r̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶r̶a̶n̶s̶m̶i̶s̶s̶i̶o̶n̶" - SI Prizm Maritime
̶1̶2̶%̶ ̶t̶r̶a̶n̶s̶m̶i̶s̶s̶i̶o̶n̶?̶ ̶A̶f̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶s̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶1̶4̶%̶ ̶m̶u̶l̶t̶i̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶s̶?̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶1̶4̶%̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶w̶h̶y̶ ̶s̶h̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶c̶l̶u̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶1̶2̶%̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶e̶s̶c̶r̶i̶p̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶a̶r̶i̶t̶i̶m̶e̶.̶
I just spoke with another Oakley represntative and he confirmed it is 14%, NOT 12% for the Maritime. That's one mystery solved.

I have BIP right now and love them, but wanted to try some Prizm lenses out myself and would like other member's input before I buy. The BIP do everything I need them to do (cut glare exceptionally well, allow me to use them in extremely bright conditions without needing to squint, etc.) and it feels like everything is crisp and clearer, but nothing really POPS! I've also used BIP near and on water and they work wonders for seeing through the water, cutting glare, and making everything easy on your eyes. Do you think one lens is better than any of the others for everyday use? Also, let's throw the Deep Water Prizm into the mix for S&G. I want to know what each lens is best at ;)

I like the iridium coating so people can't see your eyes, which means Maritime, Deep Water, and BIP are great, but I would be okay with Prizm Dailies if they are amazing, too. I've also never had a lens before that had a color to it (all have been black/ gray) and would like to know if people like them. I feel like I can wear my BIP with black frames casually OR formally which is a big plus! I'd be all for getting another pair of lenses if you guys think I need a Prizm in addition to BIP. Please share your input!

Last edited:
Quite honestly, in my opinion, unless you are in the middle of a field (or lake) and have no hat or other shade around, 14% is just fine. Driving, wearing a hat, in shady areas, etc. I don't notice much of a difference between BIP, Daily Prizm, and Maritime Prizm in terms of how bright it seems. Your eyes will adjust anyways. In terms of creating contrast and making colors "pop", Maritime Prizm will give you the best of that IMO. Prizm Daily isn't too bad either, but doesn't pop quite as much. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, but I really do like the Maritime Prizm.

Quite honestly, in my opinion, unless you are in the middle of a field (or lake) and have no hat or other shade around, 14% is just fine. Driving, wearing a hat, in shady areas, etc. I don't notice much of a difference between BIP, Daily Prizm, and Maritime Prizm in terms of how bright it seems. Your eyes will adjust anyways. In terms of creating contrast and making colors "pop", Maritime Prizm will give you the best of that IMO. Prizm Daily isn't too bad either, but doesn't pop quite as much. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, but I really do like the Maritime Prizm.

Does one of these lenses have a better effect on glare than the others/ and allow you to see through water better or are they all pretty much the same? You also said that colors "pop" more on the Maritime, but what colors specifically "pop" on each of these lenses - and why do you prefer Maritime over Daily Prizms? The BIP seems like everything is just a tiny bit darker, almost like looking through a grayed out lens that sharpens everything and removes all glare, but how do things look through those Prizm lenses? Does everything have a pinkish (or another color) hue?

First off....if you are using them for everyday carry lens, then it doesnt matter, you must wear them to tell the difference, not merely carry them.

Sorry....couldnt resist...I pertest the term everyday carry....that " run", "operator" etc etc...but anyway I digress.

I dont have Prizm Daily or any of the other water themed prizm lenses so |I cant speak on them. It really depends on where you will wear them. If you live in an area with a long of bright colors and concrete etc....may want something darker to cut down on the glare....if it is more of a rural area perhaps you dont need that and a mid range is best for you.

To me BIR is a great all around lens...not flashy, does what you ask of it and when the sun is out, they are great. |If you have more sensitive eyes and wear glasses even on most cloudy days like me, a lighter lens like the maritime is maybe more well rounded choice. I have seen BIP in a prizm lens on some models, so thay may be interesting to try(I assume they will eventually graduate all regular iridium lens to prizm.

One down fall of prizm lenses for some people is if you dont want people to see your eyes then most of the prizm lenses will to different degrees allow people to see them, while trad iridium does not.

Also, if you are only looking for lenses, then the maritime lens is a moot point at this juncture I believe as they do not sell them in replacement lenses, but only as a set with frames.

Basically for work I still use BIP as it has to be basic as per the rules, but for regular life |I far prefer the maritime lens(havent tried them around water yet....but on land I love them so I imagine Ill like them on H20 as well.

I assume the less light transmission the less glare, but I stand to be corrected. As far as the color pop question...I dont really know how to answer that. I just noticed with the maritime lens I notices car paints looking remarkably better and walking past places like the Home Depot, I would look sharper and in more contrast to the surrounding colors.

Also, how do the Maritime Prizm lenses compare to something like Costa 580 glass lenses or Maui Jim Maui Rose lenses? I know its poly vs glass, but I've heard mixed opinions on each. Anyone know?

This is going to be a long post... Sorry in advance!

How do the Prizm Maritime (Polarized), Prizm Daily (Polarized), and Black Iridium (Polarized) lenses all compare? I've never used a Prizm lens outside (only tried indoors in an Oakley store) which means I did not get the real effect of the lenses for actual use. I'm looking for a (potentially new) everyday carry lens and would like to know what is the best overall lens. I'm assuming the BIP will cut glare the most and be best for bright conditions, whereas the Prizm Daily and Maritime will be better for medium light conditions with increased contrast (making colors pop) and higher light transition, BUT I want someone to explain the differences to me descriptively.

An Oakley representative also informed me multiple times in a chat the Prizm Daily Polarized has 14% AND the Prizm Maritime polarized has 14% light transmission, compared to the BIP's 9%. AND "The Prizm Maritime have the same light transmission as the Prizm daily polarized." ̶B̶U̶T̶ ̶S̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶t̶e̶d̶,̶
"The Oakley SI Prizm Maritime Polarized collection was developed to specifically address the challenges of water environments. Utilizing formulated dye compounding technologies, the lens technology emphasizes colors most sensitive to the eyes across varying light conditions. SI Prizm Maritime Polarized reduces glare, and increases contrast and clarity, allowing the user to better navigate and see through the water. Oakley HD Polarized lenses block 99% of harsh glare and minimize eye strain. Our infusion molding process eliminates the glues, layering and distortion found in conventional polarized technology. Subdues overwhelming blues found in open water. ̶1̶2̶%̶ ̶r̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶r̶a̶n̶s̶m̶i̶s̶s̶i̶o̶n̶" - SI Prizm Maritime
̶1̶2̶%̶ ̶t̶r̶a̶n̶s̶m̶i̶s̶s̶i̶o̶n̶?̶ ̶A̶f̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶s̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶1̶4̶%̶ ̶m̶u̶l̶t̶i̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶s̶?̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶1̶4̶%̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶w̶h̶y̶ ̶s̶h̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶c̶l̶u̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶1̶2̶%̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶e̶s̶c̶r̶i̶p̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶a̶r̶i̶t̶i̶m̶e̶.̶
I just spoke with another Oakley represntative and he confirmed it is 14%, NOT 12% for the Maritime. That's one mystery solved.

I have BIP right now and love them, but wanted to try some Prizm lenses out myself and would like other member's input before I buy. The BIP do everything I need them to do (cut glare exceptionally well, allow me to use them in extremely bright conditions without needing to squint, etc.) and it feels like everything is crisp and clearer, but nothing really POPS! I've also used BIP near and on water and they work wonders for seeing through the water, cutting glare, and making everything easy on your eyes. Do you think one lens is better than any of the others for everyday use? Also, let's throw the Deep Water Prizm into the mix for S&G. I want to know what each lens is best at ;)

I like the iridium coating so people can't see your eyes, which means Maritime, Deep Water, and BIP are great, but I would be okay with Prizm Dailies if they are amazing, too. I've also never had a lens before that had a color to it (all have been black/ gray) and would like to know if people like them. I feel like I can wear my BIP with black frames casually OR formally which is a big plus! I'd be all for getting another pair of lenses if you guys think I need a Prizm in addition to BIP. Please share your input!

Very simply, it depends how bright your conditions are.
If you are in bright sun all day, like a desert environment. Then you need BIP.
If you are in both bright outdoors and some shade or shadow, then go Prizm Maritime.
If you are in flat light and indoors alot, then go Prizm Daily. I think Prizm Daily is not dark enough for bright direct sun at the beach or desert or outdoor direct bright sun.

If you have a mix of bright and shade, go Prizm Maritime, its one of my favorite lenses, very versatile, very contrasty, neutral colors. You can't go wrong.

Very simply, it depends how bright your conditions are.
If you are in bright sun all day, like a desert environment. Then you need BIP.
If you are in both bright outdoors and some shade or shadow, then go Prizm Maritime.
If you are in flat light and indoors alot, then go Prizm Daily. I think Prizm Daily is not dark enough for bright direct sun at the beach or desert or outdoor direct bright sun.

If you have a mix of bright and shade, go Prizm Maritime, its one of my favorite lenses, very versatile, very contrasty, neutral colors. You can't go wrong.

Thanks! I'm trying out some Daily Prizm Polarized lenses and I like the BIP better so far. The Prizm contrast effect is not night and day difference to me although some colors pop more, I can tell. I can drive or be looking into the direction of the sun with BIP without squinting at all, and I do have to sometimes squint with the PD depending on the time of day. I think the biggest thing I don't like about PD is how people can see my eyes. The Prizm Daily are nice tho because I don't have to take them off if I am running inside really quick, unlike the BIP. It's now just a personal preference thing for which lens to chose, and I think Maritime will solve all these issues and be a great in between lens.

Does the Prizm Maritime have the pinkish hue the Prizm Daily has? It takes my eyes a second or two to adjust to this hue unlike BIP, but then I'm good and colors pop.
How well can people see your eyes - it does have an iridium finish, doesn't it? BIP is IMO the best lens so people can't see your eyes.

Oh- another thing to add (might be the wrong forum for this, but whatever). A thing I did notice that was night and day was the glare reduction. With that being said, when I first put on the PD that were polarized, I thought it was actually a non-polarized lens. Everything that had glare that had been toned down with the BIP I was used to wearing instantly became more intense. I had to take the PD off and make sure it was polarized (it was) because I couldn't believe the difference between it and what BIP to glare. Some things that I could look directly at with BIP became almost blinding and I could tell the light from glare was more harsh on my eyes with PD.

Does the Prizm Maritime do well with glare (Better than the Prizm Daily? (I'm hoping so because it is a "maritime" / lens for water, and water always has some glare...)

Latest Posts

Back