• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Probation Lenses: sourcing / problem solving

baeblade

Oakley Beginner
Hey. So I have a pair of Probation. The frame is in great condition and I really like wearing them.
my problem is as follows: The foil on the lense seems to be getting more and more wrinkles (as seen on pictures)

- is there anywhere (in europe) to order og or off-brand replacement lenses ?
- is there any way to restore the og one and get rid of the wrinkles ?

thanks in advance

IMG_3428.jpg

IMG_3429.jpg

Hey. So I have a pair of Probation. The frame is in great condition and I really like wearing them.
my problem is as follows: The foil on the lense seems to be getting more and more wrinkles (as seen on pictures)

- is there anywhere (in europe) to order og or off-brand replacement lenses ?
- is there any way to restore the og one and get rid of the wrinkles ?

thanks in advance

View attachment 1063913

View attachment 1063914
You could always try getting a custom cut. @Chris A Hardaway would be one such man, or there are other Lens Cutters, see here
for further details. Or you could put out a Want To Buy thread.

This might be a stupid question based on the pictures but, Is the peeling on the inside or outside of the lens? Ive seen iridium peel like that but OG Bronze didn't have a Iridium coating if I remember correctly. Just like Prizm bronze doesn't.

If its the AR coating on the inside, it can sometimes just be peeled off with scotch tape. Other than that there are some no name brands on ebay that offer lenses for these. The prices are super cheap so Id guess the quality is poor but it might be worth a shot. Other brands like Revant look like they offer lenses for them as well.

I think if you would go the custom cut route, they would need to be hand cut.

This might be a stupid question based on the pictures but, Is the peeling on the inside or outside of the lens? Ive seen iridium peel like that but OG Bronze didn't have a Iridium coating if I remember correctly. Just like Prizm bronze doesn't.

If its the AR coating on the inside, it can sometimes just be peeled off with scotch tape. Other than that there are some no name brands on ebay that offer lenses for these. The prices are super cheap so Id guess the quality is poor but it might be worth a shot. Other brands like Revant look like they offer lenses for them as well.

I think, on the inside looking at the lens. There's no appearance of cracking on the outside, but could be a lower resolution picture.

Thanks for all your replies.
1. The wrinkles are on the outside of the glasses, I can drag my finger over them to flatten them out briefly and then they come back, it is like some outer foil is letting go of the glass.
2. Yes I have seen the Ebay knock offs. I think thats probably the most viable option at the moment
3. Custom cut would be super cool, I will check out the DIY forum to get a better idea, didn't even know this was an option.

the reason I didn't just order an Ebay knock off straight away is because thy were mainly shipping from US and China and I am situated in the Netherlands. edit: Orded one from user 'polarlens' on Ebay.uk will let you know if it was any good :)

Last edited:
the reason I didn't just order an Ebay knock off straight away is because thy were mainly shipping from US and China and I am situated in the Netherlands. edit: Orded one from user 'polarlens' on Ebay.uk will let you know if it was any good :)
Just my experience but don’t bother wasting any time or money on a cheap lens for a big shield like the probation.

The base curve makes for a horrible lens even for display purposes.

Just my experience but don’t bother wasting any time or money on a cheap lens for a big shield like the probation.

The base curve makes for a horrible lens even for display purposes.
Well In a fortunate (or unfortunate) turn of events the ebay order I placed got cancelled by the seller so I am still on the look out for a new lens. Any suggestions? all the best

Since the ebay one didn't arrive and I now had wrinkles both on the inside and outside I went for the scotch tape solution....I managed to remove plastic films from both inside and outside. Now it looks like this, pretty good I must say. let's see how the lens itself holds up without these layers.

IMG_3925.jpg

IMG_3923.jpg

Back