• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Question for people who own firearms

Still though, like I said - even if you follow the law perfectly, you will likely need to defend yourself in court.

You don't have to believe me, just Google "home invaders shot" and read a little. Here's a situation - in TEXAS no less (where you get a gun with a happy meal) where a homeowner shot and killed several intruders attempting to break into his home to rob him;
"'The case will most likely be referred to the grand jury, he (the sheriff) said. 'A person does have the right to defend themselves if that's what the facts are,' the sheriff said. 'We'll have to confirm that. Everything is preliminary'."

Here's one in Oklahoma, which has "stand your ground" laws (which don't exist in many states, you *can't* hold your ground in MA, you have to run away if that option is available to you).

"Although authorities are approaching the shooting as self-defense, Mahoney said the investigation is open and the district attorney will ultimately decide whether charges are filed."

Again which is why it is important to be knowledgeable of your state laws.
Exactly

What many fail to understand is this, there are those who uphold the Laws of the land and will follow them by the book regardless if your right or wrong.

Last edited:
Here's one in Oklahoma, which has "stand your ground" laws (which don't exist in many states, you *can't* hold your ground in MA, you have to run away if that option is available to you).

"Although authorities are approaching the shooting as self-defense, Mahoney said the investigation is open and the district attorney will ultimately decide whether charges are filed."

I don’t think anyone would expect there to be no investigation. But, that is different than being arrested and such…

Ive had high levels of tactical training. In a classroom and range. One thing all instructors say is: If you shoot someone its going to cost you $40,000 minimum. And thats if the guys running at you with a knife. Let alone anything less.. And $40k is just for your lawyer. Youre probably going to lose the civil wrongful death case no matter what. Which the ambulamps chasing attorneys will say this piece of **** breaking into your home at night could have earned $4m over his lifetime and his 5 kids with 4 mommas needs this money.

^ thank you. What I've been %$#&ing saying here all along.
I thought you were saying the person defending themselves and and/or family would be arrested. I’d be curious the number of cases actually went to court and under what circumstances...
The civil court thing is what seems to be a wild card. I remember when OJ won his trial but lost in civil court and I thought “this makes no sense”. If he is innocent of the crime in criminal court, how can he be guilty in civil court. Seems to be a broken system, if you ask me.

If you end up in court defending yourself against a murder or manslaughter charge, don't you think somewhere along the way you'd be in cuffs??

My bottom line argument was - and is - if you use your firearm in a self defense case, you WILL have to defend yourself in court at some point, period. It's almost certain. AND, that defense does not come cheap, ERGO, the ******* need for these types of insurance!

Back