• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Questions about Oakley Rx

bassgeek

Oakley Beginner
Just made a Rx for my Holbrook, as I try it on, the vision is not as sharp as my current glasses, so I went to my local Optical shop to check whether the correct prescription is on my Oakley rx.

The reading came back a bit off than what I sent to Oakley. Another optical shop pretty much confirm the same result.

SPH -2.75 instead of SPH -3.00
CYL -1.25 instead of CYL -1.00
AXIS: 104 instead of AXIS: 90

Anyone experience it before? Isn't what prescriptions you sent in get made to the exact spec?
Any Opticians input is greatly appreciated.

Just made a Rx for my Holbrook, as I try it on, the vision is not as sharp as my current glasses, so I went to my local Optical shop to check whether the correct prescription is on my Oakley rx.

The reading came back a bit off than what I sent to Oakley. Another optical shop pretty much confirm the same result.

Anyone experience it before? Isn't what prescriptions you sent in get made to the exact spec?
Welcome to the forum

First---have you actually called Oakley to find out what happened?

@Chris A Hardaway

This RX has been compensated for the curve. Standard Rx lenses are made with only 0-5° of wrap considered. These digitally surfaced cnc'd lenses basically are tailored for wrap. The problem could be the RX. Have you had that RX filled in any other glasses? Could be weak and need a doctor redo. Call your doctor for a recheck. Yes the power measured in a lensmeter will be " off" but it's matching computers algorithms for the as worn position. I.e. 10-12° of wrap. And the closer vertex to your face (no nose pads, etc)...

I'd give it 1 week of wear, then schedule a recheck (free if under 30 days at most offices). If you are wearing this RX in other glasses that work well give it more time. Now if this is the first pair of glasses filled with that RX it's potentially a doctor error. Not an Oakley true digital RX error.

Long story short buddy, the adjusted Rx is typically that much different than the written Rx. Ask the optician to see print out from oakley or luxottica (packing slip) with your ADJ RX. It should be made to that.

Last edited:
This RX has been compensated for the curve. Standard Rx lenses are made with only 0-5° of wrap considered. These digitally surfaced cnc'd lenses basically are tailored for wrap. The problem could be the RX. Have you had that RX filled in any other glasses? Could be weak and need a doctor redo. All your doctor for a recheck. Yes the power measured in a lensmeter will be " off" but it's matching computers algorithms for the as worn position. I.e. 10-12° of wrap. And the closer vertex to your face (no nose pads, etc)...

I'd give it 1 week of wear, then schedule a recheck (free if under 30 days at most offices). If you are wearing this RX in other glasses give it more time. No if this is the first pair of glasses filled with that RX it's probably a doctor error. Not an Oakley true digital RX error.

Long story short buddy, the adjusted Rx is typically that much different than the written Rx. Ask the optician to see print out from oakley or luxottica (packing slip) with your ADJ RX.

Here is a reply from Oakley,

The prescription used was as it was submitted to us. Depending on the type of reading machine being used, this may be the reason why it is showing up to you as a slightly different prescription. It must be a free-form digital lensometer reading the lenses, and the doctor must be able to have the optical center exactly where Oakley has put it on the lens. With that being said, it is hard for an optical doctor to find where another lab has put an optical center and get it spot on. With the optical center even a small amount off during a lens reading, this can cause the prescription that is read to come back slightly different.

Since being bought out by Luxottica, Oakley no longer performs “evaluations” on the lenses. We offer a one-time free redo on all prescription orders. Having said that, our best recommendation is to wear the lenses for a few days to see if the eyes get acclimated. The base curve on a Holbrook frame is more than the base curve on regular eyeglasses, so the eyes would still need to adjust to the curve of the lenses. Some people acclimate faster than others. If there are still issues after a couple of days, please let me know and we will go from there.

I will rock it for the next few days and see how it goes.

I think you'll probably be fine. Their reply could use a little polish. Because it's not the doctor whos reading its fault. It's just not being measured in the "as worn" position. It isn't "difficult" for an optical highly trained professional "to find" where Oakley put the optical center. But that's ok luxottica is a little bit messy w Oakley skill levels at time. Thank good the RX lenses are still made in Cali! Those guys at HQ know what they are doing.

But they do adjust the free form digital prescriptions for the curve.... It's science, not magic lol. If it doesn't straighten itself out have them remade. But I'm glad you are ready to rock!

Back