• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

So I’m getting into painting frames

You like these ones?

Things I learned from this one:

1)Probably need a little nicer airbrush.

2)Getting certain paints just the right thickness to spray well can be a challenge.

3)Base color makes a huge difference.

4)I need my matte clear to show up

5)Frog arms should probably be held on a wire or something. You can’t really clip them because you’ll hide part of the stem that’s visible.
Yes, love the color scheme you picked bud. I have a few I painted yesterday that I’m having to wait and finish once I get back home. Stuck in Brooklyn for work for 2 weeks.

I used to use a paasche with a .5 needle. Now I’m onto a badger 175 so I can use a wider range.

I keep hearing your paints should be the consistency of nonfat milk.

What do you mean about your matte clear?

I only have a 2 part urethane gloss clear right now.

I ordered some cerakote air cure gloss and matte clears but they won’t be here until Tuesday.

Looking at getting some brain dead flat clear tho instead. Have heard mixed reviews about the cerakote clears.

Yeah I’m not a fan of cerakote air cure. The paint is ok... if you can get the right adhesion to the frames. Don’t like the clear. Haven’t tried any of the heat cure products at all. Would love to hear your opinion after you try it.

I use the 2 part urethane Hot Rodz matte clear and really like it.

Yea I was thinking something like that. I might 3D print something that represents the tab on the frame that it could clip on
Don’t force it too much though as the classic hinge crack will appear before your eyes.

Easiest way to paint the logo is with a stencil applied over the raised text. It doesn’t always work with white though. Easier with black

got my cerakote clear in today. I guess these are cleared OK. Tough to tell with the matte on matte, but seems like it’s there. Don’t care for the filtering or smell tho. I think a regular 2 part urethane would be better.

Also these are up for grabs of anyone wants them. Never liked how I looked in garage rocks lol

6a1f0098681b0355b69c6a8de27684cc.jpg
0aa0106a836f03ce0427bd5c2e15a5b7.jpg

got my cerakote clear in today. I guess these are cleared OK. Tough to tell with the matte on matte, but seems like it’s there. Don’t care for the filtering or smell tho. I think a regular 2 part urethane would be better.

Also these are up for grabs of anyone wants them. Never liked how I looked in garage rocks lol

6a1f0098681b0355b69c6a8de27684cc.jpg
0aa0106a836f03ce0427bd5c2e15a5b7.jpg

Back