• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

SpecialAdvisor’s Mad Labs - Mars Leather Mods Plus

Thanks for the tip. I am new to all of this expensive clothing.

Two of my preferred sayings, “Clothes make the man.” (…and it’s recent paraphrase “Manners maketh man.”) and “You get what you pay for.” I buy Kitanica Raider Pants.

259.00 a pair. I have four pair (khaki, OD, black and grey). They are virtually indestructible. Had them for so long I don’t recall “when” I got em. Buy em once and wear em for 20 plus years…or buy a new pair every couple for 60-75.00 or more?

I have a pair of Alden 405 boots that are 30 plus years old…probably older. Resoled em last year and they are gonna go another 30. Have to put em in my will 😉. Ya get what ya pay for.

I should also add that expensive is a relative term…I am 64 years old and retired from a successful career…when I was 25 and a fresh faced Army recruit, I way paying 50-odd bucks for Royal Robbin’s khakis (a mountaineering clothing company that later turned into 5.11 Tactical). Like I say…relative.

Off topic a bit…but the Aldens are leather 😜🥾👍

Last edited:
I am so appreciative I got my paws on an original Mars Jordan!

I did a real close up look at the stitch lines and it’s fascinating. The most fascinating part is no knots! They appear to have glued the last bit of thread into the final hole of each stitch line (primarily on the backs sides as noted by @dragonvoi) 🧐

Also these lay so darn flat and smooth. Thinner leather than I’m using clearly. Also the seams are amazingly close fitting. I barely even see where the leather joins on the back and/or bottom of the nose bridge.

Pretty darn impressive 👽🤙

IMG_2044.jpeg

IMG_2037.jpeg

IMG_2023.jpeg

IMG_2025.jpeg

IMG_2030.jpeg

IMG_2032.jpeg

Last edited:
I am so appreciative I got my paws on an original Mars Jordan!

I did a real close up look at the stitch lines and it’s fascinating. The most fascinating part is no knots! They appear to have glued the last bit of thread into the final hole of each stitch line 🧐

Also these lay so darn flat and smooth. Thinner leather than I’m using clearly. Also the seams are amazingly close fitting. I barely even see where the leather joins on the back and/or bottom of the nose bridge.

Pretty darn impressive 👽🤙

View attachment 1121412

View attachment 1121413

View attachment 1121416

View attachment 1121417

View attachment 1121418

View attachment 1121421
Great photos.

Well well…look what I found in my “Attic Store”…I’m ‘almost’ embarrassed to say I forgot I had it. I used to used it extensively in 3D modeling with photogrammetry. Will be handy to better document my ongoing SpecialAdvisor’s Mad Labs Projects! 👽🤙

Sheesh…I have at least three too many light boxes now 😜.

IMG_2073.jpeg

IMG_2075.jpeg

CCE37460-DC8D-482E-960A-0FFE9829545B.gif

WOW! Deadstock?!?! That is simply incredible. What else can one say but congratulations.

Yes…I should have noted that the glue was mainly if not all on the backside in my original post. I’ll go back and edit it.

Now forgive my slight nit picking…I notice on your nose bridge on the bottom? Am I seeing that the seam looks like it might be lifting slightly? Might just be the angle or a shadow. One of the things that amazed me on mine was I could only barely see the nose bridge seam…course it’s ten times dirtier than yours!

I also note the backside of the wing seams on both of ours looks like you could not slide a razor between them. I just find this all interesting 🧐

Nice shades ya got there Brother!

👽🤙

Back