• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Torn About Gifting Juliets To My Son For Graduation...

Should a pair the Juliets be given as a graduation gift.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rmontez

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Wisconsin
Money comes and goes and there is never really a second thought about it so for a graduation gift I was going to give my son a pair of NIB Carbon Juliets with Polarized Black Iridium lenses. The problem that I am having is 1. I am losing a pair of glasses out of my collection 2. would it be possible to ever replace these 3. at 18 years old do you really think he understands the sentimental value? I am really having more issues with even taking the glasses out of the case. lol. All my boys are into my Oakley collection and all of them are very excited when I get new pairs. My son has other Oakleys but no "real" ones yet. So I will go with your advice..

We have 26 hours to decide. Thanks.

null_zps4d7089f2.jpg

null_zps01030214.jpg

Honestly at 18 years oldl I don't think he will understand the sentimental value because to him it may be just a pair of shades. You would know him better though so that is what can be the decision maker.
Can you get another pair? Yes. Can you get another pair in store? Yes but you will have to have them find it for you as supply is dwindling.

Without knowing your son I'm going to have to go with no.

Hmmm. Being that age. And him really not buying them with say HIS money. He may be prone to end up losing them. Putting them down and forgettiing them or them getting stolen. That is a hard one.

generally i would say wait till hes 21, because even then its marginal. 18 yo's generally dont have the responsibility for it and they'll be lost or dropped/scratched in no time.

you say he has other oakleys- how does he treat them? are they all scratched up? has he lost some recently/before? if hes particularly responsible, i reckon hes worth a shot. youre only young once :)

He has a pair of Oil Rigs with some rapper stuff on them and a pair of Holbrooks. The Oil Rigs do have scratched lenses, don't know about the Holbrooks. Here's a little more info. He graduated a few weeks ago, parties tomorrow, he moved out the day after graduation to an apartment he had set up months before he graduated to be closer to school, he has some summer classes. He enrolled himself into technical college for law enforcement. So he is responsible that way but none of my kids have ever really had to work for anything or earn anything. They are very respectful and polite but also spoiled.

tough call... id say no. why not take him to Oakley with some $$ and tell him he has X amount to spend to start his own collection? im 27 now, had i been given those shades at 18 i wouldve trashed them for sure.

I was 19 when I bought my first pair of Juliets, still have them, but if I would have been given them and not paid for them my self, who knows.
As others have said, you know him better then any of us, so its really your call.
I do think that if you explane that these are not just "some" sunglasses and are really something special he'll give them the respect they deserve.

I am 19 and am waiting on my first pair of juliets to arrive. I can understand how valuable these glasses are because I am paying for them but I also have done some research into oakley. If your son appreciates your collection and is responsible I am sure if you explain to him the significance of the sunglasses then he will appreciate them. In the end it is up to you ifyou can handle parting with a pair from your collection.

I vote yes.

He sounds very responsible. Spoiled or not, I think that if you were to sit with him and explain that what you are about to give him means a lot to you, and you hope he feels the same, and that this may be a great first piece to a collection, he may really appreciate them. You can also have $400 cash in your pocket and let him make the choice.

Also tell him that there are strings attached. If he ever gets rid of them, you have first dibs on getting them back. That's what I did with my friend when I gifted him a pair of Juliet's. he sat on them a few times and the flex was so loose they were almost falling apart. He gave them back, I fixed them.

Back