• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Turbine Gen 1 - Ear Socks "Bulging" or "Bowing" or "Stretching"?

so you can change icons on these turbines, and you can buy new icons, but that is not possible on the new ones, right? none for sale at oakley.com, and almost none on ebay.

Isn't this kinda strange, oakley changes icon size, but still make them switchable, but almost impossible to buy new ones?

Your statement is not entirely accurate. Oakley doesn't "retail" sell the old Dispatch II icons for the Gen 1 Turbines. Some can be found at Vault outlets (older merchandise available) or, of course, on ebay etc as they were released in (I think) 2011? or 2010? Oakley did retail sell the Dispatch II icons at that time as an accessory to the Frames themselves. The Turbines were designed to accept the Dispatch II icons (possibly to absorb their stock of unsold Disptach II icons) but Oakley never retail marketed the icons for them (just like with the Ellipse Turbine version).

But yea, exactly.. you're second point is taken. As I said in that lengthy post, there seems no point in manufacturing the Turbines with interchangeable icons and then describing/advertising the icons as "interchangeable" as part of your sales/marketing efforts if indeed the icons can't be purchased in an accessory-like manner (like the batwolf icons, or the Dispatch II icons when oakley released that pair). It's dumb.

I own a pair of Turbine Rotors with the Ellipse icon and you're right.. seems like the "new" Ellipse icon is even harder to find than the Dispatch IIs for the Gen 1 Turbines. I don't even bother collecting those. I own Matte Gray Ellipse icons for my Rotors and it's pretty likely to stay that way.

@adamsapple19 Great info and a fantastic Turbine collection!:cool-33: glad to see that i'm not the only one that is crazy for Turbines.
I have also been looking for extra icons since i saw your wtb post but it has not resulted in any new icons yet.

Your statement is not entirely accurate. Oakley doesn't "retail" sell the old Dispatch II icons for the Gen 1 Turbines. Some can be found at Vault outlets (older merchandise available) or, of course, on ebay etc as they were released in (I think) 2011? or 2010? Oakley did retail sell the Dispatch II icons at that time as an accessory to the Frames themselves. The Turbines were designed to accept the Dispatch II icons (possibly to absorb their stock of unsold Disptach II icons) but Oakley never retail marketed the icons for them (just like with the Ellipse Turbine version).

But yea, exactly.. you're second point is taken. As I said in that lengthy post, there seems no point in manufacturing the Turbines with interchangeable icons and then describing/advertising the icons as "interchangeable" as part of your sales/marketing efforts if indeed the icons can't be purchased in an accessory-like manner (like the batwolf icons, or the Dispatch II icons when oakley released that pair). It's dumb.

I own a pair of Turbine Rotors with the Ellipse icon and you're right.. seems like the "new" Ellipse icon is even harder to find than the Dispatch IIs for the Gen 1 Turbines. I don't even bother collecting those. I own Matte Gray Ellipse icons for my Rotors and it's pretty likely to stay that way.

damn that is stupid ......it almost seems like they made the glasses with switchable icons, then later "forgot" about making extra icons available for customers to buy. Could they be that dumb? ....uh, YES ! i believe it :D

Sorry to drag up a dead thread but I finally got access to ordering turbine, drop point, and double edge ellipse flat 19mm icons. Crazy thing is I can only get them if I ask for Turbine XS youth accessories! Red, chrome, and gunmetal are the only colors as of this morning... I think they have done this to sell now Oakley custom on Oakley.com

Therefore taking potential customers from their independent retailers who can't order "accessories" or "custom parts" easily.

so new icons size..... but the turbine lenses are still the same size right? from the model was introduced till now?

Has anyone had problems with chunks of the ear sock ripping off? I just found out that I cant get replacement ear socks for my Turbines and the best they could do was offer me 25% off if I traded mine in. So what I was hoping would be a cheap fix apparently cant be done, I only got these a couple years ago!
20180701_220043.jpg

20180701_220059.jpg

20180701_220122.jpg

The Vault near my work came through! Hopefully I can get another few years out of these. The guy helping me said the lenses between the original Turbine and the new frame are the exact same, so worst case scenario a new frame and ear socks would be about $35 and I can use my current lenses. Or they offer a 25% discount on a new pair with the trade in of an old pair. (The nosepiece for the Radars was a bonus also!)
20180702_130711.jpg

The Vault near my work came through! Hopefully I can get another few years out of these. The guy helping me said the lenses between the original Turbine and the new frame are the exact same, so worst case scenario a new frame and ear socks would be about $35 and I can use my current lenses. Or they offer a 25% discount on a new pair with the trade in of an old pair. (The nosepiece for the Radars was a bonus also!)
View attachment 495996
Nice! Did he have the earsocks in the store? Do you know if he can get more?

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back