• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

USPS sucks

thanks-ups-no-one-will-ever-see-it-under-the-rock.jpg

USPS is by far the worse shipping company I've used. I work for one of their competitors and we also have a contract with them for air mail. We're much more efficient than any government organization is and our service is far superior. Seeing the loads we have there's no reason for any USPS delay. We're flying first class, priority, and priority express where in the past we were only flying priority express and some priority. Any issue is on the USPS end and not that of their air carrier contractors. They should be privatized like Deutsche Post. Let them fail if they can't compete in the free market.

The point of them isn’t to be the cheapest, fastest, or best. The point is to be available for all citizens.

The point of them isn’t to be the cheapest, fastest, or best. The point is to be available for all citizens.
Unless you have a PO box then you also have service from FedEx and UPS. Even that's not true as FedEx and UPS will deliver to your street address where there's some places where USPS won't. The point is there's literally nothing USPS does better than FedEx or UPS. USPS doesn't even fly their own mail, it is flown by FedEx, UPS and passenger airlines. They need to be privatized and see if they can survive in a free market.

Unless you have a PO box then you also have service from FedEx and UPS. Even that's not true as FedEx and UPS will deliver to your street address where there's some places where USPS won't. The point is there's literally nothing USPS does better than FedEx or UPS. USPS doesn't even fly their own mail, it is flown by FedEx, UPS and passenger airlines. They need to be privatized and see if they can survive in a free market.

This is what Trump wants, no? Republicans have wanted to privatize USPS for years, IIRC.

The true issue with USPS is they stopped hiring full time civil service positions. My father retired from USPS and the union used to require that something like 80% of their force HAD to be civil service and not the $15/hour, no benefits jobs. (They has a name for those positions but I’m drawing a blank on this)
I think more/most employees are now non-union, non civil service...and, they just don’t have the same level of production. (And, they didn’t have to take the test to get hired)

This is what Trump wants, no?
I have no idea what President Trump wants. But I do k ow it doesn't influence my thoughts on USPS.
Republicans have wanted to privatize USPS for years, IIRC.
I have no idea what the Republicans want. But, from a business standpoint, it makes sense to privatize them. They're only getting worse. If they weren't a government agency they would have been replaced a long time ago if they didn't improve.
The true issue with USPS is they stopped hiring full time civil service positions. My father retired from USPS and the union used to require that something like 80% of their force HAD to be civil service and not the $15/hour, no benefits jobs. (They has a name for those positions but I’m drawing a blank on this)
That's hardly the true issue with USPS. The employees being civil service or not makes no difference. Most FedEx and UPS employees who work the sorting lines are part time with no benefits. How are they able to sustain their business and USPS isn't?
I think more/most employees are now non-union, non civil service...and, they just don’t have the same level of production. (And, they didn’t have to take the test to get hired)
They definitely don't have the same level of production they did in the past, but I highly doubt that's due to them being non union and non civil service. Again how are FedEx and UPS able to sustain their business, but USPS isn't? In my Reserve unit, and most of DOD, we have civil service employees who do nothing and make more money than the AGR and ART Reservists who have to do their own job and cover for the civil service people. Again, that's far from the issue.
What I'd like to see is for USPS to have a business model similar to FedEx Ground where contractors bid on the routes and run them. If they're not performing to expectations release them from the contract. I've had a great FedEx Ground contractor in my neighborhood for the last few years. They had the route previously but we're underbid and now they're back because the other contractor was unable to perform. With USPS if they're not performing, which they don't, there's no recourse other than to deal with it which, as a customer, is unacceptable!

I have no idea what President Trump wants. But I do k ow it doesn't influence my thoughts on USPS.

I have no idea what the Republicans want. But, from a business standpoint, it makes sense to privatize them. They're only getting worse. If they weren't a government agency they would have been replaced a long time ago if they didn't improve.

That's hardly the true issue with USPS. The employees being civil service or not makes no difference. Most FedEx and UPS employees who work the sorting lines are part time with no benefits. How are they able to sustain their business and USPS isn't?

They definitely don't have the same level of production they did in the past, but I highly doubt that's due to them being non union and non civil service. Again how are FedEx and UPS able to sustain their business, but USPS isn't? In my Reserve unit, and most of DOD, we have civil service employees who do nothing and make more money than the AGR and ART Reservists who have to do their own job and cover for the civil service people. Again, that's far from the issue.
What I'd like to see is for USPS to have a business model similar to FedEx Ground where contractors bid on the routes and run them. If they're not performing to expectations release them from the contract. I've had a great FedEx Ground contractor in my neighborhood for the last few years. They had the route previously but we're underbid and now they're back because the other contractor was unable to perform. With USPS if they're not performing, which they don't, there's no recourse other than to deal with it which, as a customer, is unacceptable!

I'll take my father's word over yours...he at least worked at the post office for 30+ years.

Unless someone else who works for the post office has more recent data. (He did retire 7 years ago, so maybe something changed since then)

Back