• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Watch Quality

Steve,
I couldn't agree with you more...not sure f maybe you misunderstood or I didn't explain myself clear enough (apologies).

We had actually spoke when I first joined the board weeks back asking for info on the Double Tap...and you were very kind to give me some of your insight and opinion of which I appreciate.

I agree they are fashionable, I love the appearance and design of them as well as the weight, something caught my eye immediately when I was looking into them and continued to keep me coming back. Even the jeweler remarked it was a nice, good looking watch...when I showed him images of the Stainless, he thought that was even better...

I have never been a real flashy kind of guy or go for some wild design, so these fit just what I was looking for...

I am just not sure how much you can "pay" for looks and appearance or a name is all I was getting at....I am no watch expert by any means...I don't open the cases nor am I schooled on their workings or repairs...hell even replacing a watch band for me can be a chore if not impossible, lol...

I do some work for a local music store, and lets say in comparison to a Gibson guitar, even their name is worth only so much and people have debated if their quality has decreased over the years and if you continue (today) to get your money's worth of a Gibson of lets say many years ago...I don't know...but understand the thought and conversation.

I guess you would just hope for your investment that the actual assembly quality and the inner workings of the watch itself may possibly reflect that investment and that debris would not have found it's way inside the case or that the movement would have been slightly more advanced.

You, sir have some watches with the ones listed...lol! I am impressed.

As I had said in the post...new to the board and I know I have a lot to learn...appreciate the advise and input!

Dan

Agreed. I think Oakley had some Quality Control issues, unlike a higher end watch makers. Which shows why it never stuck around. Agree, MSRP is what killed Oakley watch line. But I also think they failed in the marketing side of Oakley watches. They didn’t push it like their glasses Persay.

It’s crazy how much people are willing to pay for Oakley watches, now that their no longer available. Which makes me think Oakley should bring them back :p

It is crazy what people always have been willing to pay for Oakley items new or even on a secondary market.

That obviously means they are or have been on to something for a long time and had their finger on the creative pulse of what people wanted or liked.

Does make you wonder why suddenly watch production ceased... We may never know the truth..

Decisions far above our pay grade!! :drinks:

When we were talking about things as my DT was getting serviced the comment was made Oakley does a great job on the design aspect... Some are radical and cutting edge, others like the DT slightly more conservative.

The materials used are nice and the overall watch is robust (my God look at some of the bands and case!) and then you wrap it all up in a slick package and advertising.

Again, makes you ask why they had some of the QC issues and why not use just a slightly higher quality movement?

The one there appears to do a fine time in keeping time and I haven't heard any issues there... They wouldn't have had to go Uber high end just a little better should someone who does know watches get inside and see the inner workings..

I dunno... Just thoughts lol

I'm no watch expert, but if the most expensive Oakley watch (FMJ) is using the same Swiss movement as my $700 Invicta, I'm sad for anyone who has that particular Oakley watch and thinks "it's worth it"...

At that price point, it's pretty much just the fact that you have one that makes it worth it for the buyer...

Not sure what movement are in the other Oakley watches, but something tells me they're not the greatest Swiss movements out there...

There are different grades of that ETA movement, brother. A person before me said it best - whilst the grade that is in the Oakley Watch (FMJ) is the top-tier grade and is COSC certified, it is still not an exotic or decorated movement. However, to compare it to the movement in your watch is also not quite the same as the materials in the FMJ ETA is of much higher caliber and tighter tolerances, which allows for its COSC certification.

Don’t cry for me Argentina!
63D37F78-D0D1-410E-9561-87E6CAA0265E.jpeg

Back