• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What in the Holy Shnikies is happening to me ?

Damascusdude

Oakley Enthusiast
Premium Member
Missouri
3D78D9EB-EBE5-4594-80A0-A8E196346350.jpeg
So this happened recently ...
I think I’ve stepped across into the beginning of the Promise Land ...

I’m using a set of beaters for my first go round. I’ve heard they can be a bit tricky on a couple other threads I researched. Thanks for the heads up . Yes I’m sure X-Man will see a few of mine as well.
careful with that press when reinstalling rivets. I had a bit of an issue when I tried to reinstall mine. Thank god the X-Man was able to get them squared away.

The question is how long before your wife tells you to get it off the table :)
Indeed @Rado . She’s really cool with my hobbies honestly. She’s got 3 pair herself. I’ve got an Oakley backpack coming to organize my tools and what have you to keep them off the table. Problem might be the Huge dremel kit I ordered today. It has its own case , but it won’t fit in the back pack :errwhat:

Indeed @Rado . She’s really cool with my hobbies honestly. She’s got 3 pair herself. I’ve got an Oakley backpack coming to organize my tools and what have you to keep them off the table. Problem might be the Huge dremel kit I ordered today. It has its own case , but it won’t fit in the back pack :errwhat:
That’s awesome we married understanding wives! They know when we have our hobbies or projects some places may get a little messy.

Using the same tool myself I can tell the best way to put them back in is to use your thumbnail. If everything lines up correctly you can use your thumbnail to push the rivits in until the lock ring hits then use the tool to push them the rest of the way in. You’ll only need to push a little and they will be locked in. If you do it that way I guarantee you’ll never get a misaligned pin which results in a blown out hole.

5B6D39AB-2064-45A4-8AD4-ADC14E36733B.jpeg

The other thing you need to take care of is that tip. You’ll ruin pins taking them out and putting new ones back you’ll booger them up. You want it to be flat or ideally concave. @Bonz-1 has a very nice modification for his.

Two small tips, I put a drop of Purell or lens cleaner on the pin when pushing them in or out and I use an old cleaning cloth between the tool and the pin when taking them out and also between the bridge and tool when putting them in to prevent any damage.

Using those methods I only replace pins that were already garage. In fact I just ordered new pins and flex couplers from @zwc0442 that should last me the rest of the year. I highly recommend his parts.

Good luck and happy tinkering, once you do a few you’ll be in love and looking for every cheap beater you can find!

Using the same tool myself I can tell the best way to put them back in is to use your thumbnail. If everything lines up correctly you can use your thumbnail to push the rivits in until the lock ring hits then use the tool to push them the rest of the way in. You’ll only need to push a little and they will be locked in. If you do it that way I guarantee you’ll never get a misaligned pin which results in a blown out hole.

View attachment 462153

The other thing you need to take care of is that tip. You’ll ruin pins taking them out and putting new ones back you’ll booger them up. You want it to be flat or ideally concave. @Bonz-1 has a very nice modification for his.

Two small tips, I put a drop of Purell or lens cleaner on the pin when pushing them in or out and I use an old cleaning cloth between the tool and the pin when taking them out and also between the bridge and tool when putting them in to prevent any damage.

Using those methods I only replace pins that were already garage. In fact I just ordered new pins and flex couplers from @zwc0442 that should last me the rest of the year. I highly recommend his parts.

Good luck and happy tinkering, once you do a few you’ll be in love and looking for every cheap beater you can find!
All great advice!! I made a driver from a screwdriver, spring and a c clip for putting pins in it works fantastic!!

Latest Posts

Back