• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What would YOU do, if you suddenly needed "real" glasses? :-)

You can use 30 day contact lenses that you can sleep in and only need to remove once a month. But only some people can tolerate them due to dry eyes. Some brands can even roughly correct astigmatism.

Lasik is usually successful. Usually. There are rare irreversible complications, and it's not so good if you have super bad vision.
No opthalmologist worth their salt will think it's a good idea to sleep in any CL, Even Daily wear ones.
In UK the corrective procedure being promoted as the best results/risk wise is the Lens Implant procedure.

No opthalmologist worth their salt will think it's a good idea to sleep in any CL, Even Daily wear ones.
In UK the corrective procedure being promoted as the best results/risk wise is the Lens Implant procedure.
I beg to differ. These contact lenses are manufactured to allow enough oxygen to permeate the lens and nourish the cornea. I've used them for well over 10 years without problem. No neovascularisation, no infections, no weakening of the cornea. These are NOT dailies that must be changed after 16 hours. These are made for extended use and have been around and refined for quite some time. There are several brands around but currently use air optix Night and Day. They aren't suitable for everyone. Some people can't tolerate them.

I beg to differ. These contact lenses are manufactured to allow enough oxygen to permeate the lens and nourish the cornea. I've used them for well over 10 years without problem. No neovascularisation, no infections, no weakening of the cornea. These are NOT dailies that must be changed after 16 hours. These are made for extended use and have been around and refined for quite some time. There are several brands around but currently use air optix Night and Day. They aren't suitable for everyone. Some people can't tolerate them.
This is all very true. In the USA they are approved for up to 30 days extended wear. But remember to take them out and clean them every 7th night. That's how I was taught is 6 days (day and night)... 7th day remove and clean. Then follow that for 4 weeks. Lastly dispose.

You aren't wrong that many MDs don't like this. But with patient compliance low, might as well recommend the best right? Note: Not everyone can sleep in lenses or wear lenses for a full 30 nights. I for example go a week at a time, max.

Ask your eye care professional for complete wear, care, and safety information. Important Safety Information*Dk/t = 175 @ -3.00D. Other factors may impact eye health.

175 Dk/T for air optix N&D is about as high as it gets for "oxygen permeability" whereas many other extended wear contacts are around 110.

You would be better informed than me on this CH. But I cannot fathom why anyone would want to sleep (I.e. not taking a nap) in Contact lenses. As you said improved Technology has made them more permeable but a CL is basically a foreign body in your eye, I have constantly been basically badgered by my Optician to reduce the amount of wear time. I wear monthlies, I know that with them in going to Bed in them they would basically be fit for the Bin only the next day, If they dry out they are permanently misshapen and/or highly likely to rip or tear.

You would be better informed than me on this CH. But I cannot fathom why anyone would want to sleep (I.e. not taking a nap) in Contact lenses. As you said improved Technology has made them more permeable but a CL is basically a foreign body in your eye, I have constantly been basically badgered by my Optician to reduce the amount of wear time. I wear monthlies, I know that with them in going to Bed in them they would basically be fit for the Bin only the next day, If they dry out they are permanently misshapen and/or highly likely to rip or tear.
Monthlies are not the same as fit for purpose 30 day "day and night" lenses. I wouldn't use monthly lenses to snooze in or sleep with overnight either.

P.S. In addition, there are ortho-k lenses which are hard lenses which people use only at night, and remove in the morning. Their vision stays corrected for up to 2 days without contact lenses or spectacles.

Monthlies are not the same as fit for purpose 30 day "day and night" lenses. I wouldn't use monthly lenses to snooze in or sleep with overnight either.

P.S. In addition, there are ortho-k lenses which are hard lenses which people use only at night, and remove in the morning. Their vision stays corrected for up to 2 days without contact lenses or spectacles.
Every day's a school day eh!

Hadn't heard of them so just did a bit of research.... The "hard" bit concerns me & it's still an (for me) an unnecessary foreign body in your eye. I think a lot of especially Men, Back in the day, Found CL fiddly & awkward etc, Whereas Women (or Trans ppl) who are/were used to applying make up etc took to them a lot more seemlessly. Then when cosmetic lenses that changed the colour of people's eyes appeared it seemed that the lad folk got over their Phobia a bit easier.....

So you got a huge collection of Oakley's,.. but then you found out you need prescription glasses!
(Something that can happen to many people, sooner or later)

Would you sell your collection? hold on to it? would you start to collect Oakley sunglasses with Rx, in the models that are available, or would you get Lasik eye surgery so you could continue to wear your current sunglasses?
Give them up and accept the fact that I will no longer be socially acceptable.

So you got a huge collection of Oakley's,.. but then you found out you need prescription glasses!

Would you sell your collection? hold on to it? would you start to collect Oakley sunglasses with Rx, in the models that are available, or would you get Lasik eye surgery so you could continue to wear your current sunglasses?
Hey there!

Surgery option would probably help you to perform better and feel more comfortable in everydar life, so if doctors are recommending it, go ahead, regardless of whatever yo do with your sunglasses. That's secondary. Best of lucks.

And don't get rid of your collection, by no means. It could have an important value now, and would only increase with time. There are, also, prescriptions lenses available for any frames these days. I'm sure you can work that out.

Latest Posts

Back