• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Worth $800? No SKU?

Rhymes

Oakley Enthusiast
Oakley Original Incredibly Rare First Edition Frogskins Crystal Blue/ Blue Irid. | eBay
Are these in fact rare? Im trying to figure out what exactly they are.

I asked the seller what the model number was.
His reply was-
"Back then they didn't have SKU numbers, we used descriptions and part numbers for ordering"

Does that statement have any truth to it?
Did Oakley not use the SKU system early on?
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Hi.. nice example of a violet clear generation 1 frog. It looks like it's in fantastic shape. Sadly no its not super rare or worth anywhere near 800 dollars. In fact there is one for sale in the exchange area here on the forum for around 150 dollars I believe and it's been sitting for months .. that one is also in great shape. They are actually quite common although very old. Gen 1 frogs came in a variety of colors. From 1985-91 they retailed at around 40 dollars and were all made in Japan. You should see japan stamped on one of the stems.. I'd say that example is worth around 150 or so as a very clean version of an old release. I had a wack of the Gen 1 frames a few years back and none had sku numbers on them so I don't think that's rare either. I know for Gen 2 and 3 the numbers they use for skus are completely random..

Hope this helps..

Brian

Brian, thank you very much!
Exactly the answer I was looking for.
Very good info. Good to know about the SKUs.

So is this guy just out of his mind?
Maybe he's just really attached to them.

Gen 1 and Gen 2 did have sku codes (part numbers) but these were on the labels and not on the glasses, typical of most eyewear at that time. Gen 1 sku codes were 03-051 to 03-081, mostly the frame and lenses were the same for gen 2 with the same part numbers but they continued for longer, commencing 03-051 to 03-097. I am unaware of any production prior to or after these numbers but that is not to say they don't exist.

Back