• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-metal demographic question

47 got my first pair back in 2001 whilst on a break from Blighty, in Oz. It was in this antipodean utopia, where the seed for my appreciation of the design of most things, Oakley, began.

38085907_1816444738432346_185261322663886848_n.jpg

43, first pair was a set of plasma w/sapphire Penny's back in 2004. Knocked off by the guy I paid $400 to to dynotune my bike. Wish I had known about the serial number on the arm stems then, I would have taken it down and compared it the one on the box I had at home. He claimed they were "his". Very odd that the guy did not seem to have them when I first took my bike there. Then, they magically vanished from the toolbox in the workshop where the bike was, and a few days later, when I came to pick up the bike, there was an identical pair sitting on his head...

Still, I have two pairs of Juliet's now, with 4 pairs of lenses. So I need two more frames - preferably beaters that I can mod...

Z...

38 here. Currently 5 pairs of XMs. Had a beat up M Frame in the mid 90's that was given to me. My first purchase was a pair of Wiretaps in 2003. Couldn't afford/justify a pair of XMs till 2009 when I got my carbon Juliet, then I wondered how I never justified getting a pair for so long... Used to see people wearing XMs every once in a while back in the day, but I can't recall the last time I saw a pair in the wild that wasn't on my own face. Most people who ask about them think they look pretty amazing. But they always balk when they find out how expensive they are making excuses like, "oh well I lose sunglasses so often I just get $15 pairs", "I'd break them", "those are really heavy".... I usually have them try on Juliets outside in the sunlight so they can see what real optics are vs their "$15 pair" and then they see how comfy they are. I don't let people touch my R1s though, so they just never know what they are missing :eek:

38 here. Currently 5 pairs of XMs. Had a beat up M Frame in the mid 90's that was given to me. My first purchase was a pair of Wiretaps in 2003. Couldn't afford/justify a pair of XMs till 2009 when I got my carbon Juliet, then I wondered how I never justified getting a pair for so long... Used to see people wearing XMs every once in a while back in the day, but I can't recall the last time I saw a pair in the wild that wasn't on my own face. Most people who ask about them think they look pretty amazing. But they always balk when they find out how expensive they are making excuses like, "oh well I lose sunglasses so often I just get $15 pairs", "I'd break them", "those are really heavy".... I usually have them try on Juliets outside in the sunlight so they can see what real optics are vs their "$15 pair" and then they see how comfy they are. I don't let people touch my R1s though, so they just never know what they are missing :eek:

I'm hoping to meet someone with a pair of R1's one day, I really want to try a pair on before committing that much cash on a single pair of Sunglasses - ie - they need to fit, and look like they work on my face. My Juliet's already feel like they may be borderline. Maybe I should post in that "do these look good on me" thread...

Z...

44. I first purchased a blade lens from an o-store whilst on holiday in Florida 1991 along with a replacement arm/rubber kit in blue with white writing (2 sets of arms in kit)
I fitted the lens and arms into a purple Muddy fox frame top section and wore them cycling for a coupe of years. They were great if a little colourful but I wish I’d taken a photo of them!
Fast forward to 2003 and after admiring the cabinets full of x metals for over a year or so, I took the plunge and purchased a Polished Fire polarised Juliet and it went from there.

Latest Posts

Back