• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-metal demographic question

I live in West Union and have an X metal XX that is my daily wear pair. im 39. i wore a flak xlj for like two years and went to the Vault store in Dawsonville, GA in spring 2017 to get new rubbers. They were having buy one get one and my wife was buying a cohort, so i got a Badman carbon/ruby. the literature said "X metal" so i started reading, and the internet led me here. then i learned they were not at all x metal or ruby. lol. i had always loved the Cyclops lenses in the x men movies, but never knew they were fugazi until i landed here...and realized @Funky-Trixtar owns them all already. :) I initially tried to buy an x squared which ended up being beat vs the "mint" as described on ebay. asked @Chris A Hardaway like a million questions and @Litos as well. eventually, litos parted with one of his x metal xx. now, when i have to wear o matter, my face feels off. about the only place ya would ever run into me is 7 11 near food lion.lol. but hello from Mayberry, man. there have to be others here.
@Dukeman24 this is a legit good dude! Talented and down to earth. Just remember though, X-Metals will make you crazy ;)

I’m knocking on the door at 50 and have my first pair of Juliet’s with fire lenses and still have them today. What i liked at the time is they were pretty expensive so not to many people wore them so you kind of felt like one of the cool kids. They have long since retired now sitting in a box but now that I joined the forum I have bought som display cases for them. I think it’s cool when the younger crowd likes them. There’s still hope. Lol

I'm 38 this year. Bought my first pair (Frogskins) in 1996/7? 2nd pair was e-wires. 3rd pair was Juliets. The only way i was able to afford the juliet was because i had a friend who worked at an Oakley store and at the time, the employee discount was huge. She hooked it up, otherwise i wouldn't have been able to own a pair at that stage of collecting. Now i have quite a few X Metals.

A bit late to this thread but I’ll go ahead and add to it. Just turned 35 recently — I now exclusively collect (and wear) X-Metals for sun and have two Jordan OO frames (one black powder and one gold oxide) that I wear for my everyday eyeglasses. To me, there are only 6 true X-Metals (Romeo, Mars, Juliet, XX, Penny, XS). I have one of each that I wear regularly with Rx lenses (except for Mars; looking for a Crater to put into my rotation). I can’t imagine a day will come when I’ll feel like I cannot wear X-Metals in public, but maybe 35 years from now at age 70, who knows. I live in NYC and see people wearing Oakley frames in the wild from time to time, but never any X-Metals.

I’ve been an O fan since my high school days when I was working at Sunglass Hut in the late 90s/early 2000s, which is Oakley’s golden age IMO. I feel lucky that I was paying attention to the sunglass market at that time and was able to get my hands on some of the great Oakley frames from that period. My first was the O-matter XX in FMJ 5.56/Ice Iridium and then shortly thereafter got a C Wire in the same colorway — I’ve always loved the look of a sleek silver frame with blue lenses. Not long after that I got a Splice (FMJ/Crystal Black with Ice Iridium) and a Mag Switch (Dark Carbide/Black Iridium). All of those frames are long gone from my collection though. My first X-Metal was a purchase from SH while I was still working there in high school: a plasma Juliet — also got a Titanium/VR28 Penny back then.

A bit late to this thread but I’ll go ahead and add to it. Just turned 35 recently — I now exclusively collect (and wear) X-Metals for sun and have two Jordan OO frames (one black powder and one gold oxide) that I wear for my everyday eyeglasses. To me, there are only 6 true X-Metals (Romeo, Mars, Juliet, XX, Penny, XS). I have one of each that I wear regularly with Rx lenses (except for Mars; looking for a Crater to put into my rotation). I can’t imagine a day will come when I’ll feel like I cannot wear X-Metals in public, but maybe 35 years from now at age 70, who knows. I live in NYC and see people wearing Oakley frames in the wild from time to time, but never any X-Metals.

I’ve been an O fan since my high school days when I was working at Sunglass Hut in the late 90s/early 2000s, which is Oakley’s golden age IMO. I feel lucky that I was paying attention to the sunglass market at that time and was able to get my hands on some of the great Oakley frames from that period. My first was the O-matter XX in FMJ 5.56/Ice Iridium and then shortly thereafter got a C Wire in the same colorway — I’ve always loved the look of a sleek silver frame with blue lenses. Not long after that I got a Splice (FMJ/Crystal Black with Ice Iridium) and a Mag Switch (Dark Carbide/Black Iridium). All of those frames are long gone from my collection though. My first X-Metal was a purchase from SH while I was still working there in high school: a plasma Juliet — also got a Titanium/VR28 Penny back then.

Great story bro

Never too late. My story age are nearly identical here to yours. Except I'm from the W coast. Also my first pair was eye Jacket, then xx X-Metal fmj/ice, then SQ wire 2.0 w fire!

Welcome, I missed you before! All premium members are serious about this collecting thing!

Back