• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Blackhawk Down Lenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would think. But, certain lenses have different coatings. And if you use a cleaner not reccomended for that particular lense, certain cleaning agents can eat away at the coating. Hence, Oakley cleaner=Oakley lenses, Oakley Hydrophobic Cleaner=Hydrophobic lenses, Ikon Cleaner=Ikon lenses, etc... Mild dish soap and warm water=Happy Any Brand Lenses.

I suggest to anyone using dish soap on lenses, DO NOT DO THAT! Dish soap has abrasives in it and will scratch lenses. We did a test awhile back. You may get lucky once or twice, but it will leave marks.

I suggest to anyone using dish soap on lenses, DO NOT DO THAT! Dish soap has abrasives in it and will scratch lenses. We did a test awhile back. You may get lucky once or twice, but it will leave marks.
Thanks for correcting my post. I was actually told by an Oakley rep to use soap occasionally. Last time I listen to them. Lol. Thanks Brother for the advice.

Thanks for correcting my post. I was actually told by an Oakley rep to use soap occasionally. Last time I listen to them. Lol. Thanks Brother for the advice.

Makes me wanna do a periscope showing what happens when you use soap!!!! Not every rep is totally familiar with Maintenence of sunglasses. I am an advocate of removing my lenses out of my daily wears bi weekly for a cleaning. Dirt, dust, and debris gets between the orbital channel and the front of the lens and rubs until it scratches the lenses. If you ever remove a lens you will see the dirt line which runs around the lens. Even if you clean it well you can still tell if it's been installed for awhile on a daily worn pair.

Any advice on a mild degreaser since dish soap is a no no? I've been using it for when sunscreen etc, gets on the lenses.

Any advice on a mild degreaser since dish soap is a no no? I've been using it for when sunscreen etc, gets on the lenses.

Great question. I have a pair of glasses I only use on the pool, at the beach, etc. when I get anything on them I spray extra cleaning solution on the lens and clean it with a disposable micro cloth. After a quick s lemons cleaning they are good. Using any chemical degreaser will damage the lens. I also use hydrophobic solution on my beach pair which assists in cleaning them at the end of the day. I don't like wearing good stuff to the beach if I can help it. Also if you have or swim in a salt water pool then make sure you wash the entire frame and lens if you get water on them as the salt left behind can and will have fun with lenses

Thx. Mostly I've been using my Half Jackets in the pool/ocean and they still look good (I rinse in fresh water and I've been using dishwashing soap on them when there is too much sunscreen etc. to wipe off with just the microfiber cloth). Baby shampoo might work better (many divers use it on their masks) I use the hydrophobic solution on the glasses that are used while sailing or kayaking and it seems to make cleaning a bit easier.

I think you are pretty safe for your daily pairs with a mild hand soap as opposed to dish soap (washing up liquid). I wouldn't use it on a collectable/rare set - only the cleaning spray, but for a wash every so often it should be fine.

So, I wear all of my X Metals regularly. One a week, give or take a few days, I like to deep clean them in the sink with warm water and some soap to remove any skin oils and dirt. If not dish soap, my best option for this is hand soap?

I never rinse my mine off when I swim in chlorinated pools or anywhere else in the rain. I use that hydrophobic coating and I never seem to ever have a problem. they're just sunglasses made of titanium you're not going to ruin them. and I have a special old soft t-shirt I used to clean the lenses. but that's just me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back