• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

1991 Desert Storm Iraq and Oakley Sunglasses?

SpecialAdvisor

The Warlord of Mars 👽🤙
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Smalltown, USA
Greetings Oakley Hive Mind! I am somewhere North of 60 years old, almost 22 years of that spent in the U.S. Army.

Back in 1991 before, during, and after Desert Storm, I was kicking around Iraq and part of Southern Turkey. While there doing “stuff” I was lucky enough to get a few goodie boxes while getting resupplied. We got cool candy, Hershey chocolate that would not melt (pic attached), such things. But in one box I got there were a pair of black sunglasses. I would swear that they were Oakleys…and before anyone asks no…Sadly I don’t have them any longer. I scratched the holy carp out of them over time and probably tossed them in a rash act of youthful stupidity. On the up side I got to eat the chocolate bar and still have the shoulder patch!

Anyone else recall these sunglasses? My Google-Fu must be weak as I can find nothing referencing these particular sunglasses.

Thoughts? Ideas? Wild guesses?

Inquiring minds want to know! 🪖👍

IMG_7389.jpeg

IMG_7388.jpeg

Last edited:
Greetings Oakley Hive Mind! I am somewhere North of 60 years old, almost 22 years of that spent in the U.S. Army.

Back in 1991 before, during, and after Desert Storm, I was kicking around Iraq and part of Southern Turkey. While there doing “stuff” I was luckily enough to get a few goodie boxes while getting resupplied. We got cool candy, Hershey chocolate that would not melt (pic attached), such things. But in one box I got there were a pair of black sunglasses. I would swear that they were Oakleys…and before anyone asks no…Sadly I don’t have them any longer. I scratched the holy carp out of them over time and probably tossed them in a rash act of youthful stupidity.

Anyone else recall these? My Google-Fu must be weak as I can find nothing referencing these particular sunglasses.

Thoughts? Ideas? Wild guesses?

Inquiring minds want to know! 🪖👍

View attachment 1076999

View attachment 1077000
Welcome

Digging back in my headspace and timing from the era…it was more like a slimline Monster Dog or maybe Pit Boss style frame than an M-Frame. I have a few pair of SI M-Frames. Old school up to Alphas 🪖👍

XxRuMKaxX…Could be…let’s bear in mind that was oh…32 odd years ago 😏. Seems to me it was very close to a Straight Jacket or Monster Dog. I may have been an Infantryman back in the day but I had the heart of an artist 😉. My memory was the temples were closer to the smooth line of the Monster Dog but slimmer like a Straight Jacket. Sure was hoping Jim Jannard would pop into the conversation saying…it was the M-DS-Frame 001 and I happen to have a case extra in storage for the whole Oakley Forum!…one for you, and you, and you! 😜👍

Last edited:
Back