• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

3-D PRINTING

I imagine with an SLA printer and an STL file the average guy could crank them out pretty efficiently. The design would be too challenging for an FDM machine to make a good looking pair IMO. Metal 3d printing is too expensive and maybe too complex for the average joe.

I’ve never run across a design in STL or any other format for any x-metal frame, saw a guy try to to an OTT on this forum somewhere.

If someone were able to make the design (3d scan? Sculpt?) and label it “fan art” they may be able to get around some counterfeiting issues, but if they started selling and Lux took notice I’m sure they’d try to stop it regardless.

I don’t use em often but I do have metals filaments I have used in my Ultimaker 2+ Extended…a bit finicky.

…and remember the technical term is “replica” 😏

IMG_9535.jpeg

…one of my main retirement hobbies at least initially was Prop Replicas…mostly Disney stuff. Course I don’t sell anything so never concerned myself over the legal details. Was all for myself, family and friends. Amazing what can be done with photogrammetry and or a boatload of modeling time and talent. I fell under the photogrammetry category 😉

The bronze door handle is in the Haunted Mansion in Florida and the other is on my office door in Pennsylvania 😏

hmsnakehandle 000.jpeg

hmsnakehandle 013.jpeg

So why cant the average guy print the craters?
is it creating the geometry?
gotta be cheaper than what mars are going for now. Or is it getting into the realm of counterfeiting?

It would probably cost more to print one than to buy one, considering you still have to machine and finish it, get pin/rubber/lenses/clips, and all that is assuming you can create a 3D model which is difficult to do correctly/accurately.

I'm surprised they aren't on Shapeways already. Print them in 18k gold

For gold they actually still cast them, they just print the wax.
This is in silver. This part that also do in gold plated brass. This is just a random part I doubt is cast. But are we saying we want our x metals cast or printed now?

Screenshot_20231115_094054_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Back