• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Can this be saved?

Can it be fixed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You're absolutely right about it snapping if carried out under normal atmospheric conditions. Thus the use of the lab and the extensive prep
I am totally intrigued as to how you managed to do this. If you ever have the inclination to post some info on what/how it was done I am sure you will have an appreciative audience here.

Glad to see an X-Metal can be saved. Great job. Was the process more expensive than buying another pair?

Materials and access to the lab was reasonable; time is another matter as it took 4 hours effort of my time to get it back as best as I could. You have no idea how incredibly difficult it is to line up the screw holes perfectly as it requires the art of finesse and close examination - both of which are near impossible when you're working with precision tools wearing massive thick gloves and looking through a thick slab of glass. Took me an hour alone just to line up those holes after a dozen or so attempts. Just when you think it's all good, the threading is misaligned by literally a fraction of a millimeter in one of the 3 dimensions and the screw won't go in :headbang:.

Materials and access to the lab was reasonable; time is another matter as it took 4 hours effort of my time to get it back as best as I could. You have no idea how incredibly difficult it is to line up the screw holes perfectly as it requires the art of finesse and close examination - both of which are near impossible when you're working with precision tools wearing massive thick gloves and looking through a thick slab of glass. Took me an hour alone just to line up those holes after a dozen or so attempts. Just when you think it's all good, the threading is misaligned by literally a fraction of a millimeter in one of the 3 dimensions and the screw won't go in :headbang:.
Damn. I just hate it when you put all that effort into it and can't get it in. ;)

Use a pice of tig welding rod to pull it back into alignment, a diameter that will go through the top and bottom holes.

Latest Posts

Back