• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Corroded clip for Jawbreaker

I actually got a set of evzero recently as a replacement and they are quite nice, but still kinda want to be able to use the jawbreakers.

Cyclists get sweaty and spend long hours in the sun, so I figure they probably could have factored that into the design and made the part out of some non corrosive material. I like the adjustable length of the legs (probably a better word for that) as they can be adjusted to not interfere with a bike helmet. That is the real feture I like. I thought about just gluing the jaws closed as I never replace lenses anyway...

Hi OP,

Not a tremendously useful reply, but a "me too!" from mine. I also have the Cavendish Jawbreakers and my nose piece has also corroded badly after just a couple of years of use. I've contacted support as they are no longer securely holding the lens in place, but their response was (I'll be polite) not encouraging:

"No, we can't warranty them and nor will we offer any sort of repair option or spare parts"

Seems utterly insane to write off a pair of (rather expensive) sunglasses after such a short period for want of a tiny spare part, especially given that Jawbreakers (if not this specific model) are still a current model.

I'm a bit grumpy, if I'm being honest and have sent a suitably unhappy reply back to support, but I'm afraid that their response will be unlikely to change. My experience of Oakleys goes back some 25+ years, but this is the second pair of < 3 year old glasses that they have "written off" in the last two years. I'm afraid that the company now appears to be a shadow of its former self and I'd be struggling to give a good reason why I would continue to use them in the future, which is a sad state of affairs.

1613394746275.png

Salts will corrode.
The many bits and pieces (if even available) in a Jawbreaker are why I don’t use one.
I stick with M Frame/Radar for heavy use.
It’s super fast and simple to disassemble for complete cleaning...

couldn’t have been said better.

the less parts to mess with, the less there is to break and later find impossible to replace.

the radar ev with a gasket fits like a jawbreaker kinda :)

Hi OP,

Not a tremendously useful reply, but a "me too!" from mine. I also have the Cavendish Jawbreakers and my nose piece has also corroded badly after just a couple of years of use. I've contacted support as they are no longer securely holding the lens in place, but their response was (I'll be polite) not encouraging:

"No, we can't warranty them and nor will we offer any sort of repair option or spare parts"

Seems utterly insane to write off a pair of (rather expensive) sunglasses after such a short period for want of a tiny spare part, especially given that Jawbreakers (if not this specific model) are still a current model.

I'm a bit grumpy, if I'm being honest and have sent a suitably unhappy reply back to support, but I'm afraid that their response will be unlikely to change. My experience of Oakleys goes back some 25+ years, but this is the second pair of < 3 year old glasses that they have "written off" in the last two years. I'm afraid that the company now appears to be a shadow of its former self and I'd be struggling to give a good reason why I would continue to use them in the future, which is a sad state of affairs.

View attachment 837455
I'm a Jawbreaker user myself, with multiple pairs, some I've even custom painted.

While I agree it sucks they won't do anything, I wouldn't write these off. Check eBay for a replacement jaw. They won't have the green metal piece unless you find another jaw off a Cav, but you can find a replacement black jaw, or go with a different color. They are super easy to swap. I do it all the time to give mine a different look depending on what kit/bike I'm wearing.

I'm a Jawbreaker user myself, with multiple pairs, some I've even custom painted.

While I agree it sucks they won't do anything, I wouldn't write these off. Check eBay for a replacement jaw. They won't have the green metal piece unless you find another jaw off a Cav, but you can find a replacement black jaw, or go with a different color. They are super easy to swap. I do it all the time to give mine a different look depending on what kit/bike I'm wearing.
Thanks - I had a look, but there are very few out there and most don't seem to include the nose piece, but I shall have a better look later. Bit grumpy that Oakley didn't offer to sell me one themselves, TBH...

Just checked my stash, and unfortunately, I only have a spare top, not the bottom. If I did, I'd sell it to you for a good price. Keep an eye on eBay, or even put a feeler out in the For Sale/Trade/WTB section. Someone probably has a jaw laying around they'd part with.

Just checked my stash, and unfortunately, I only have a spare top, not the bottom. If I did, I'd sell it to you for a good price. Keep an eye on eBay, or even put a feeler out in the For Sale/Trade/WTB section. Someone probably has a jaw laying around they'd part with.
Thank you, that's extremely kind of you and much appreciated. Will keep an eye out.

Back