• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Crate Mars

Interesting thread. I wish there was a way to know how the Mars would fit on me, as they're so different aesthetically from anything I've owned.

Has anyone ever tried to make a custom leather pair out of a Mars that didn't have the leather wrapping? I tend to doubt it would be worth the effort, but I definitely prefer the leather Mars.

If I went for a pair of these, I'd almost certainly replace the stock lenses with an aftermarket Ruby.

I am fairly certain that I could easily wrap them with leather, but I am pretty good at stuff like that. I make MacGyver look like an amatuer.
Buy a pair, pull the lenses. Find some thin leather in the color you want. Get a good quality thread. Use a thin cotton sheet or a piece of foil to make/shape a stencil for the leather. Match up the leather and the holes and pierce for easy stitching later. Put some rubber cement on the frame and leather, let dry until tacky and paste together. Let dry for 24 hours. Stitch the leather in, through the pre pierced holes. Stencil and cement the sides.
Or take the lenses out, send me the frames, leather and thread. I'll have a fun time trying to make it work. If it fails, you're out the postage and two bucks in leather and thread. If it works, it only cost you the postage, leather and thread.

Props on the leather guide, Beancooker. The Mars look about as good on you as I've seen them look on anyone, based on my observations scouring over pictures here. I think they can look small on some people, which has me a little hesitant considering juliets are borderline for me.

Annoyed to see that Linegear charges $100 for the replacement lenses I'd be looking at. I didn't realize they were quite that pricey.

I'd probably lean towards the non-crater version given my sad budgetary state of affairs. My mom used to design leather jewelry for a living, so I know she'd be able to do some custom wraps that would do the glasses justice.

Exactly! Get some OEM lenses from your local store or online (Jawbone/Racing Jacket or Plaintiff have the correct base curve) and have Chop cut you some.

You'll get OEM quality and superior optics while spending the same as you would with aftermarket lenses.

I am really surprised these Mars were not part of the Nordstrom Rack special back in 2009 when the Juliets and Romeo 2.0 were sold for only a paltry $69.99 and there were lots and lots of them distributed nationwide in abundance. I guess Nordstrom Rack may have thought nobody would buy the radical Mars for $69.99 and therefore passed on the crates of Mars. Anyway, nothing will ever beat the $50 each (tax included) HQ parking lot prices of the Leather Mars and Craters. I miss those days!

Wow, I'd heard Dr. Chop get mentioned before, but didn't realize his prices were so reasonable! That opens up a whole new avenue of thinking for me. I'm not a big fan of the positive red that I see a lot of people using for replacement lenses for their x-metals, but I'll take a look and see what's available. Dr. Chop must be a good dude to keep his prices so reasonable.

I'm absolutely gutted to hear that there was a Nordstrom sale where they had x-metals so cheap. Those prices are ridiculous.

I noticed the seller in question doesn't ship outside the US, which isn't a big problem necessarily, but adds a bit of inconvenience. It's brutal that Canada isn't considered exempt from such shipping restrictions.

Thanks Batwolf- it's much appreciated. I've still got some debating to do about whether I can pull off the Mars frame and whether to go Crater. I'm intrigued by the potential challenge of trying to do a custom leather wrap.

Very impressed with the sense of community here.

I am fairly certain that I could easily wrap them with leather, but I am pretty good at stuff like that. I make MacGyver look like an amatuer.
Buy a pair, pull the lenses. Find some thin leather in the color you want. Get a good quality thread. Use a thin cotton sheet or a piece of foil to make/shape a stencil for the leather. Match up the leather and the holes and pierce for easy stitching later. Put some rubber cement on the frame and leather, let dry until tacky and paste together. Let dry for 24 hours. Stitch the leather in, through the pre pierced holes. Stencil and cement the sides.
Or take the lenses out, send me the frames, leather and thread. I'll have a fun time trying to make it work. If it fails, you're out the postage and two bucks in leather and thread. If it works, it only cost you the postage, leather and thread.

Its not nearly as easy as it sounds. Its actually quite a pain
http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/custom-mars-wrapping.15433/
ape9a9up.jpg

Latest Posts

Back