• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Flex couplers

386MFrames

Oakley Enthusiast
Lake City, FL
Are the flex couplers made of rubber?
What if we could get a company to cut some out of polyurethane? Would they last longer? Or do you think it would be too stiff?

Just thinking out loud(via text over the internet)

Image is related to vehicles
rubbervpoly.jpg

Are the flex couplers made of rubber?
What if we could get a company to cut some out of polyurethane? Would they last longer? Or do you think it would be too stiff?

Just thinking out loud(via text over the internet)

Image is related to vehicles View attachment 336974
If you send to @THE X-MAN the general consensus is that they'll outlast you anyway.

Having done quite a few myself I think polyurethane would be too hard. They need to have a certain amount give to flex. Some of the ones available now are much too hard and make tune ups a nightmare.

Having done quite a few myself I think polyurethane would be too hard. They need to have a certain amount give to flex. Some of the ones available now are much too hard and make tune ups a nightmare.
I haven't seen any in person, so this is just speculation, but I would think it's just about thickness. The hard ones being thicker

Because in this situation, one mm thicker would probably be unusable.

One mm definitely makes a difference.

If the poly ones were a bit thinner then they would flop around in the nose bridge. They have to be tight in there and that's what makes it necessary for them to be a bit soft.

This is the orbital tab. It goes in the cavity in the nose bridge. The flex coupler goes on it just like a condom.

IMG_4427.JPG

One mm definitely makes a difference.

If the poly ones were a bit thinner then they would flop around in the nose bridge. They have to be tight in there and that's what makes it necessary for them to be a bit soft.

This is the orbital tab. It goes in the cavity in the nose bridge. The flex coupler goes on it just like a condom.

View attachment 336996
I guess either way, it would be a lot of trouble for something that may not work.
But....
I could give it a shot! Similar to this process but much much smaller, and tedious
Make whatever polyurethane bushing your heart desires! After a lot of work! - Turbobricks Forums

Back