• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Found my WHY 3's!!! PLEEZ HALP!!! WARNING: Graphic images that will make you cry!!!

Hyperion

Oakley Beginner
Denver, CO
In a couple of my posts I've mentioned that I used to have a pair of Why 3's that were defective when I bought them but were never fixed. If you haven't seen Why 3's before that's because they were supposedly released only for one summer? Anyways Why 3's are just like every other Why in the series but they had flat lenses and their frames were X-Metal instead of just steel or whatever they're made of now. They were $375 and looked like this...
OAKW3TITBL.jpg

Well...after years I finally found them and...I cried a little.
IMG_0891.jpg

Okay, so they're not that bad really. In fact the frames, and the rubber still look brand new. When I bought them I realized the arms were twisted slightly so when you set it down on a table one arm would hang in the air and when I wore them they would sit lop sided on my face. I sent them back to Oakley and they sent them back basically the same.

IMG_0892.jpg

They sit on the table just fine in this pic, but that's because the lenses are cracked and when you pick them up the frame and arms flop around loosely.

IMG_0894.jpg

but it's the lenses that make me wanna cry. That's both dust and a weird moldy speckling that covers them. Also the protective laminate is wearing around the edges of the lenses.

IMG_0899.jpg

After a gentle cleaning the speckling was still there.

IMG_0898.jpg

You can really see where the lens is spiderwebbing out from the screws causing them to move loosely.

I need your help: I want to bring these back to life! I've had them for years and NEVER wore them. But they're so rare I took them to an Oakley store and they basically laughed at me. Is there anyone who knows my options? Can they be saved? I mean realistically all I need is to track down some lenses (not necessarily Oakley brand) and then I can focus on the frames (which to be honest seem still brand new). Anyone know of anything or have any advice, or at least willing to pat me on the shoulder till I stop crying?

How can you say "no" to this face?
2012-06-04140938.jpg

OK, so where were they for all these years???

Literally in a drawer behind my desk where I have had my laptop for the last three days. They've actually been this bad for a long time because when I said something was wrong with them and the arms were loose, their solution was to just tighten them and crack the lens more. And Oakley hasn't really been much help since the beginning because these were a special edition they never really seemed like they had parts. Also the "twist" in the arms is actually at the hinge (the thickest part) and their solution to make them fit was to bend the thinner part of the arms which really didn't help, and then they got loose and Oakley was like, "sorry, buy new lenses....if you CAAAAN! MUWAHAHAHAHA!!!" Okay so I really didn't try that hard but I don't wanna waste time if someone just has a solution at hand. They were still in their Oakley bag and I still protected them and so the frames are all still good, just the lenses look like they deteriorated. I was able to get the spots off with a more thorough cleaning but the lamination is still coming off, and of course they are cracked at the screws.

Get someone to cut some new lenses for you. Dr Chop can probably do it. Send him a PM and find out.

Another option is an Optician. I'm sure they can cut something for you.

I never knew these were made of X-Metal. Would've bought one had i known :smile:

Get someone to cut some new lenses for you. Dr Chop can probably do it. Send him a PM and find out.

Another option is an Optician. I'm sure they can cut something for you.

I never knew these were made of X-Metal. Would've bought one had i known :smile:

Yeah it was a rare one summer only model where they said the teeny tiny little frame was x-metal (it was right when the Juliets were so popular thanks to X-Men) and were expensive as HELL. I still don't know how I afforded them although when I was 18-22 I somehow had the best paying job of my life, and now that I'm 30 with a college degree I can't find ANYTHING.

I sent Oakley a begging email about how I bought $400 glasses I never wore and I hope now (years later) they may have a solution for me. If anything they've gotten enough of my money that has been pretty much thrown away to wanna kiss my bootay a little more. They HAVE to have some lenses lying around somewhere, and these are the rare occasion where it's the FRAMES that are so expensive for Oakley, so maybe I can work something out. I don't even want blue again, I'd much rather they just be normal gray.

To be fair sending a scathing lens will not help you in getting anything from Oakley. You need to make friends there & then they may be able to help you in some way. If it were me i'd be making contact with them regularly to see if they'd come up with anthing. dr chop is a good option to try, never known him fail yet. Good luck with your quest.

To be fair sending a scathing lens will not help you in getting anything from Oakley. You need to make friends there & then they may be able to help you in some way. If it were me i'd be making contact with them regularly to see if they'd come up with anthing. dr chop is a good option to try, never known him fail yet. Good luck with your quest.

Actually, I was just editing my post because scathing wasn't the right word, it was more like, "PLLLLLEEEEEEEAAAASE HELP! {Whimper Whimper} I WILL LOVE YOU FOREVER!!! :'(" What's a word for, "Full of begging?"

Also, I think it was Sunglasses Hut that broke them too. (back then there weren't Oakley Stores that I knew of.)

Actually, I was just editing my post because scathing wasn't the right word, it was more like, "PLLLLLEEEEEEEAAAASE HELP! {Whimper Whimper} I WILL LOVE YOU FOREVER!!! :'(" What's a word for, "Full of begging?"
I've found that the best way. The UK customer service has alway's been able to help me but then again i've never been asking for help with such a rare frame.

:'(" What's a word for, "Full of begging?"

I think the word that you are looking for is "Full of ****"............. only joking. It'd be interesting to see if they are able to help out.

I've found that the best way. The UK customer service has alway's been able to help me but then again i've never been asking for help with such a rare frame.

I always have noticed if I call or email Oakley, they're awesome, but I go into a store and they're like...rude most of the time. I, no joke, had a girl basically stop helping me because I fessed up that my lenses were VL on my gascans, and then I went to another store to pick up icons for my Batwolfs I got on ebay, and I was talking to this guy about how excited I was and when I mentioned I got them off ebay and he goes, "Well, they're probably fake then." Rude, be excited for me and encourage me to come BACK to the store for all my accessories!

Turns out they weren't fake, the same store (but sadly not guy) verified it when they arrived, but man when I worked at a video game store and someone wanted to talk about a game to me, I'd talk their ear off whether they got it at my store or not because, ya know, I LIKED the product I sold, not just trying to make money.

Back