• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Hello Oakley Fans

Aloha. Welcome to the Forum. :welcome:

IMG_3895.gif

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you have some amazing insights into the X-Metal plant - it would be great to see some pics and hear your stories. If you could get the ex production manager on here, that would be awesome!!

Not all the prototypes have disappeared for ever - members on here posess the purple and blue Juliets - I myself have a blue pair of Pennys that I acquired through the qc manager of the Dayton plant....
9c20d5b9c999b6e46bf14daba2150983.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Oakley Fans

thanks for letting me join the forum, for more than 10 years the company i worked for was the PVD coating company for the Titanium X-Metal line that was cast in Dayton Nevada.

We developed the Plasma & Carbon process and ran production for years..

looking through old boxes this morning i found two pair, one being Carbon Black and the second is a development prototype set in Brown PVD

Thanks for letting me join..

PVD Guy
Hello & welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have some very interesting insight on X-Metals from back in the day. Anyway, there is some very knowledgeable members on forum that can shed a lot light on all kinds of Oakley products if you have any questions. Take care & enjoy!

once i have time to go through old presentations material and photos from old laptops tops i should find some interesting pictures.

My projects were on the Engineering side working to keep up on the production of Plasma & Carbon coated parts.. thinking back over the past 20 years i probably threw away hundreds of spare parts that could be used today 😩

the Brown set were color test glasses to show Foot Hill Ranch and never engraved on the stem since it never received a formal part number.

Last edited:

Sounds like you have some amazing insights into the X-Metal plant - it would be great to see some pics and hear your stories. If you could get the ex production manager on here, that would be awesome!!

Not all the prototypes have disappeared for ever - members on here posess the purple and blue Juliets - I myself have a blue pair of Pennys that I acquired through the qc manager of the Dayton plant....View attachment 944850
These we processed using a method of PVD coating with Niobium followed with a post anodizing process to obtain color. this development originally came from Sheffield Hallam University, the wear resistance wasn't as good as PVD.. the Blue Pair you have can either be that process or Titanium Oxide PVD.. another method during development of colors.. The Orange for sure are Dr. Muntz process from England

Not all the prototypes have disappeared for ever - members on here posess the purple and blue Juliets - I myself have a blue pair of Pennys that I acquired through the qc manager of the Dayton plant....View attachment 944850
brings back old memories seeing these blue & orange frames, being a guy from the UK , here’s another project i worked on back in 2012 PVD coated with Titanium Nitride 👍🏻

London Olympics

image.jpg

Last edited:
Back