• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Help with prescription sunglasses lenses

GAM

Oakley Beginner
New around here- looking for help.

I have the original flak jacket xlj.

About 3 years ago I got prescription lenses for them. This year I tried to order replacement lenses.

The new lenses are beveled on the outside bottom edges (where there is no frame). The old lenses were not.

The lenses with the beveled edge seem to be catching light reflecting it off the edge so that there is movement in my peripheral vision when driving. For instance I can see the dotted line dividing the lanes on the road moving along the edge of my lenses. This is kinda distracting.

No one seems to be able to help with this when I contact Oakley. They don't seem to be willing to cut a new set of straight lenses without the beveled edge.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any idea what I should do?

Thanks!

Assuming that your Rx lenses are from Oakley, it sounds like you got lenses with Oakley's latest True Digital Edge technology, which progressively thins the edge of the lens for prescriptions that require lots of correction.
Depending on your prescription, you may be able to order lenses from Oakley without the True Digital Edge feature.
You'll have to talk to an optometrist for more details -- Oakley Customer Service isn't allowed to discuss prescription lenses over the phone.

Assuming that your Rx lenses are from Oakley, it sounds like you got lenses with Oakley's latest True Digital Edge technology, which progressively thins the edge of the lens for prescriptions that require lots of correction.
Depending on your prescription, you may be able to order lenses from Oakley without the True Digital Edge feature.
You'll have to talk to an optometrist for more details -- Oakley Customer Service isn't allowed to discuss prescription lenses over the phone.
Thanks so much for the quick reply. I do not have a Oakley store within 100 miles of me- so I had to order from sportrx.com. They seem super friendly- but don't seem to be able to communicate with anyone who can help with this at Oakley. Does this make sense- that they would only be able to talk to customer support - and not lab type people who would understand about a request not to make the edge in this way? They seem to be getting the answer- that the lenses are just cut the way they're cuts- there is no way to even communicate that you'd want it cut differently. . .

I have ordered prescription Oakleys from SportRx myself -- they are very knowledgeable about Oakley Rx glasses. Sounds like you're just not getting through to the right person there. Try asking for Rob Tavakoli: he's a real Oakley geek and places prescription orders with Oakley every day.

So optical accounts no longer can talk to the RX Dept in California. Customer service is now in Ohio from what I understand. Administered by Luxottica. They often give False And inaccurate information. It can be frustrating, I feel for you.

To give you an answer I really need to see photos of the old edge and new edge. The old lenses weren't "polished" automatically. That was an upgrade actually. Now all the Flaks I get in RX look polished.

You could have Oakley True Edge now, for higher RX, however keep in mind if your prescription calls for Oakley true digital you can't have it removed. Also if you have lower prescription lenses they can't be upgraded to True digital. Their Machinery is very strict on what it will do.

Post pics and tag me if you'd like me to take a look. Sounds like that's way off in your peripheral vision especially on an 8 base curve lens. Give It 2 weeks you'll get used to it. I would agree with sportrx though I bet there is no way for them to do it better unless there's a little messed up spot where it got mistakenly hacked up. If that's the case tell them that the pair you got has rough edges and they can remake it for that.

IMG_1263.GIF

Stick around. Youbwill find lots if infos,great deals and awesome members here.

So optical accounts no longer can talk to the RX Dept in California. Customer service is now in Ohio from what I understand. Administered by Luxottica. They often give False And inaccurate information. It can be frustrating, I feel for you.

To give you an answer I really need to see photos of the old edge and new edge. The old lenses weren't "polished" automatically. That was an upgrade actually. Now all the Flaks I get in RX look polished.

You could have Oakley True Edge now, for higher RX, however keep in mind if your prescription calls for Oakley true digital you can't have it removed. Also if you have lower prescription lenses they can't be upgraded to True digital. Their Machinery is very strict on what it will do.

Post pics and tag me if you'd like me to take a look. Sounds like that's way off in your peripheral vision especially on an 8 base curve lens. Give It 2 weeks you'll get used to it. I would agree with sportrx though I bet there is no way for them to do it better unless there's a little messed up spot where it got mistakenly hacked up. If that's the case tell them that the pair you got has rough edges and they can remake it for that.
Thanks @Chris A Hardaway. Here are the new ones with the angled cut in the frame. And the old ones with the non beveled cut not in the frame. What do you think?

IMG_5115.JPG

IMG_5116.JPG

Last edited:
That doesn't look like Oakley's True Digital Edge -- that looks like the lab changed the way they finish the outer edge of the lens.
Seems odd that the lab would put such an angle on the bevel of the outer edge of the lens where there's no frame that the lens needs to fit into.
But if optical accounts such as SportRx don't have any way to talk to the lab directly, it may be difficult to get Oakley to make lenses with the kind of edges you want.

Latest Posts

Back