• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Is there supposed to be numbers, letters and a faint logo in the middle of my vision on my sunglasses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Night Surprises

Oakley Beginner
Hi all, I ordered new prescription sunglasses from Oakley, with Prizm Jade Polarized progressive lenses and the Wiretap 2.0 frames. When I received them, yesterday, there was a noticeable area on each lens that are cloudy, like a greasy fingerprint (which is what I thought they were, initially, so I used a clean lens cloth to wipe them).

When I put the glasses back on the smears were still there, so I notices there was a waviness to the area, and got my camera to get a better look. Turns out there is a group of one letter, three numbers (both different from each other) and an Oakley logo. No, not the logo in the bottom outside corner of the lens that is supposed to be there. These are in the middle of my vision. Anyone seen this before?

IMG20240104181134.jpg

Screenshot_2024-01-04-18-15-10-12_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg

Screenshot_2024-01-04-18-16-50-94_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg

IMG20240104181149.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all, I ordered new prescription sunglasses from Oakley, with Prizm Jade Polarized progressive lenses and the Wiretap 2.0 frames. When I received them, yesterday, there was a noticeable area on each lens that are cloudy, like a greasy fingerprint (which is what I thought they were, initially, so I used a clean lens cloth to wipe them).

When I put the glasses back on the smears were still there, so I notices there was a waviness to the area, and got my camera to get a better look. Turns out there is a group of one letter, three numbers (both different from each other) and an Oakley logo. No, not the logo in the bottom outside corner of the lens that is supposed to be there. These are in the middle of my vision. Anyone seen this before?

View attachment 1107742

View attachment 1107744

View attachment 1107745

View attachment 1107746
Great photos. Totally normal. Not only for Oakley, but every brand of RX has a "makers mark" or a set of Logos / Initials to differentiate them from other brands / labs.
You are a +2.50 Add on your progressive. So the 233A Basically represents how your +2.50 add was compensated by the "computers" at Oakley's ATL McDonough GA lab to fit the wrapped Wiretap 2.0

They are great looking and genuine lenses. But I hear you, I have an older OO9181 Racing Jacket with RX lenses and I can see the "smudge" or blur in that area too if I look for it.
The engravings are placed about 4mm below your pupil on Progressive lenses and 17mm out on either side away from your line of sight!

Great photos. Totally normal. Not only for Oakley, but every brand of RX has a "makers mark" or a set of Logos / Initials to differentiate them from other brands / labs.
You are a +2.50 Add on your progressive. So the 233A Basically represents how your +2.50 add was compensated by the "computers" at Oakley's ATL McDonough GA lab to fit the wrapped Wiretap 2.0

They are great looking and genuine lenses. But I hear you, I have an older OO9181 Racing Jacket with RX lenses and I can see the "smudge" or blur in that area too if I look for it.
The engravings are placed about 4mm below your pupil on Progressive lenses and 17mm out on either side away from your line of sight!
Amazing. Why don’t they place that somewhere where you won’t notice it?

Amazing. Why don’t they place that somewhere where you won’t notice it?
It's been this way since the first progressive lenses stated coming out around 1990. Once something sticks it's follow the leader, and has become industry standard. Oakley doesn't hop on the engraving bandwagon until they stated their lab around Y2K. But this is useful for opticians to verify the lens is correct. So it's never changed. Only nearsighted people can see it. Farsighted people world need very notice it.
Just ignore it and you're brain will do the rest.

Last edited:
It's been this way since the first progressive lenses stated coming out around 1990.
I have other Oakley prescription sunglasses, and don't see this in them. These are an annoyance. I'll probably send back as it visibly shows from the outside as an imperfection in the lenses.

*edit - I just took the lenses out of a set of Flaks. I could not find anything similar in the visible area, but I did find that each of the two lenses (actually four, as I had purchased two sets of lenses) have a small, faint Oakley logo mark, but no numbers, right next to the nose where they are impossible to see to the wearer, and now, from my little hunt for logos, virtually impossible to someone else to see while someone is wearing them.

Maybe it's the way Pryzm Jade reflects the light but where these are on the lens it creates a slight distortion in the light wave across the face of the lens.

Last edited:
I have other Oakley prescription sunglasses, and don't see this in them. These are an annoyance. I'll probably send back as it visibly shows from the outside as an imperfection in the lenses.
Single vision Oakley lenses don't have this. But progressive Oakley lenses do.

But I'm sure you know better than the whole industry of optical professionals ;)

If you return them for that please do the universe a favor and don't buy progressive lenses ever again. Picky picky? Are you always like this?

For the record these weren't purchased from me. So I have no skin in the game. Just a little tired of the occasional difficult to please customer.

But I'm sure you know better than the whole industry of optical professionals ;)

If you return them for that please do the universe a favor and don't buy progressive lenses ever again. Picky picky? Are you always like this?

For the record these weren't purchased from me. So I have no skin in the game. Just a little tired of the occasional difficult to please customer.
Do you have examples of this in other lenses? This seems pretty prominent to me and I’m not convinced this customer is really being difficult. Could this one be stamped a little worse than typical?
my wife wears progressive lenses and I’m gonna check them out to look for this. Or, is this only on wrapped frames?

I see where it is on the lens and I am trying to figure out what direction your eyes face. Yo me it looks to be out of the field of vision unless you are holding your head straight and looking beside you. I am asking this because in the initial post you said this mark was in the middle of your vision.

Dude, why did you turn into an aggressive jerk? I simply pointed out that 8 year old lenses on Flaks, which are PROGRESSIVE lenses, btw, do not have this stamped into the area of vision at all. Sorry if that runs counter to your experience, but don't take it so personal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back