• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How about a Buddy System ?

So only concern is if it's a public thread - you're about to get spammed to kingdom come. Any phone number / email on the internet gets scraped and then called like crazy.

Potentially do it with a private thread (members only), but still somewhat a fear with a spam bot getting on registration. I like the idea of an address book though so maybe something like?
No , theres no public information on the thread / forum.
All you would have is a list of members like this…

aaa …. bbb
ccc …. ddd
eee … fff

it would be two members that have swapped lets say mobile numbers.

so if as example …. ddd goes awol or theres something odd on his posts any member can approach ccc to check on ddd to make sure their ok , not hacked etc.

totally voluntary but if it caught on it could help sometimes.

or as you say an address book page somehow?

I get people would have to be into the idea and its not perfect but look at boostbear, if someone had a Direct line there may have been an update from him or a family member, honeymonkey too.

There are half a million people on this forum who have my cell phone number, IG account and personal home address...

If I EVER scam someone or someone THINKS I'm doing something crazy, just ask some of the top posters and sellers on this forum where they can find me 🤣🤣

This is a little off topic but I have also thought about an Oakley "will" where you find someone that would help your family sell/distribute your collection in the event of a tragedy. I know my immediate family would have no idea of the value of it or where to go to sell it....they honestly might toss it or give it away.

I don't know the answer or solution but I have thought of having an "O" emergency contact listed inside of my displays in case something were to happen. It's a morbid thought, but I'm sure others here have had similar feelings.

So only concern is if it's a public thread - you're about to get spammed to kingdom come. Any phone number / email on the internet gets scraped and then called like crazy.

Potentially do it with a private thread (members only), but still somewhat a fear with a spam bot getting on registration. I like the idea of an address book though so maybe something like?
I have no idea about how spambots work so your best placed to decide on that though. Im sure members post contact details in private messages all the time.

i like the idea of a members only page for it but,,, a quite a few regulars may not have subscribed ruling them out?

There are half a million people on this forum who have my cell phone number, IG account and personal home address...

If I EVER scam someone or someone THINKS I'm doing something crazy, just ask some of the top posters and sellers on this forum where they can find me 🤣🤣
This is sorta my point,,, you sir are ‘ part of the furniture’ so to speak. So a lot of people know you. Thats good. Lesser members may not have that network support. I buy from time to time here and sell rarley, but prob no one would have my contact number, incase theres a need.

Ok, more thoughts, an address book system containing emails or mobile numbers on the forum servers could ( i dont know?) be acsessed?
Id suggest any members swapping details via pm just delete the messages when complete that way nothings held online.
Any issues with anyone then a member just refers to the contact list and asks the buddy to reach out.

I get this isnt exciting sunglasses chat but it is trying to go someway solve a problem that occurs every so often. Several members currently AWOL that could have been resolved with this in place possibly.

Playing devils advocate here.

If a member went awol for the purpose of fraud/theft, why would he/she answer the phone?

If something happened to a member, hospitalization/death/etc., probably won't answer a phone anymore than they would answer here. It would really only work if someone had a family members contact info, which I would never give out.

Like Boostbear for example, I'm afraid something happened to him, but it wouldn't do any good to have his number if that's the case.

The best use of it would just be in case a members account is potentially hacked.

Back