• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How-to: Getting Earstems Secured Better

hearno

Oakley Collector
My newest pair of juliets is great with the exception of a floppy left earstem. Normally, the screw just needs a twist and it takes care of the problem. In this case, the screw is slightly stripped and I don't have a replacement yet. I got it as tight as I could while still being able to remove it when I get a replacement. My questions is this: Has anyone ever used pliers or vice grips to tighten the end of the frame the stem fits into? I'm not talking about using a lot of force, just enough to crimp the ends closer together. I'd use a rag to prevent tool marks on the frame but you get the idea. Anyone tried it?

I don't think it'd be as easy if you think. Titanium is pretty strong/stiff and I think you'd over do it real easy. Then you'd be in a troubled spot

You could use extra washers. I would try your hardware store. If nothing else you could just get aftermarket ones. That's expensive though.

the clear washer make the earstem stiff, that is why if you decide to take your xmetals apart, make sure not to lose them. Please do not use pliers or vice grips! You can try and see if anyone has extra or call Oakley if they can send you some. I was lucky enough to get extras when I went to HQ and was able to put them on my other pairs that need them. good luck brotha

yeah i do NOT recommend trying to bend the frame. you can seriously cause the earstem hinge to get misaligned, even small changes affect it. best choice is to check your plastic washers are all there and intact - they wear out over time. you may need to have them replaced.

I will call oakley and try to source some more washers. I took the stem off and only 2 fell out so I guess I'm down 2 already. Thanks.
Hopefully they'll send you some, but usually with anything outside of a rubber kit you have to send them in. I lost an orbital gasket one time and they wouldn't send me one...I had to send them in for a tune-up.

I can't believe there aren't any reasonably priced, quality alternatives to going thru Oakley. These glasses have been out for well over a decade and while there may not be a huge market, you'd think someone would step in. Esp with the tune-ups being a necessity every few years. I'm gonna buy a beater pair and have a buddy break them down and see if it's gonna be possible for us to do our own.

Back