• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Iridium Bake Fade/Marks

Got photos of these?
This is a OEM fire minute 2.0 lens.

CFDA0594-04E9-4CFE-8CF9-604E96CF4371.jpeg

51AA0D66-43E4-48CC-BE03-654BFA41FC3C.jpeg

Maybe it depends on when/where the lenses were made? I went through dozens of pairs of Straightlink lenses, non-polarized, polarized, Prizm, ... , all mirrored, and didn't notice marks on the edges. I'm not saying the "bake" phenomenon is untrue, I just never saw it in person.

The only lenses I see delaminating or "chipping" are the lenses that are custom cut...

I think cut lenses are more prone to chipping/delaminating because of the tools used to cut the actual lens...

never seen an aftermarket lens chip/delaminate 🤔
Oh they are not delaminated though it’s actually like there is a melted part there. It’s smooth not like when iridium peels.

Why does the marks look to be in the same exact spot on almost all of those lenses ??

looks like mounting marks or chips from going in or coming out of frame 🤔
I thinks it is where they were either resting or picked up when the iridium was baked on. Totally smooth, and these are new replacement lenses never been mounted.

Maybe it depends on when/where the lenses were made? I went through dozens of pairs of Straightlink lenses, non-polarized, polarized, Prizm, ... , all mirrored, and didn't notice marks on the edges. I'm not saying the "bake" phenomenon is untrue, I just never saw it in person.
I think there is something to this. I noticed them in sorta the same generation lenses. Pre-prizm, or sapphire. I have noticed them in scalpels, Juliet, pit bull that I can remember.

Back