• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Job hunting Sucks!

MoparFin

I should Work at Oakley
Womelsdorf, Pa
Need to vent.

I was working as a safety coordinator. Guys in the plant told me they had seen me more in the first 2 months of working than what they had seen my predessor in the years that they worked there. Long story short we get a new plant director who brought in a safety person he was in charge of at another plant for the same company. I knew this person and they had NO CLUE what they were doing. All of a sudden they are my supervisor. So, after a couple wrong calls made by this person and me bringing up the issues, I was let go. I was told that I wasn't what they were looking for for the team they were trying to build. I don't keep my mouth shut when I see someone doing something wrong and I guess you can't have your subordinate know more than you, especially when you get the job with absolutely no knowledge. I guess it also helps when you call your boss "Daddy".

Now, I have been to loads of interviews. I often hear nothing back at all (probably 80%). Had one place, that I was sure I was getting the job, say that corp office removed the position after 3 interviews, which included meeting the President of the company. Had about a month between the first interview and them saying no.

Yesterdays interview the HR person told me she hadn't even read my resume and didn't have it. I emailed it to the HR director who then sent it out to multiple managers that said I should be interviewed as soon as possible. Kicker is, during the interview there was no position talked about! HR recuiter told me that she was unsure where they wanted to put me and was just told to get me in because of how "impressive" as she said, my resume was. Seriously, you bring me in for an interview without having a single clue of what positions you have open? When I sent the HR director my resume I said, let me know what you may think I am a fit for, I am interested in a safety or supervisor position. I know that is a little vague, especially for a cold email being sent, but to me its pretty easy. Is there a supervisor position open? Yes, ok it in such and such department(s). Tell him we have these positions open, see if he would be interested in or would fit in those roles. We don't have any positions open or only very entry level positions? Ok, tell him thanks but we only have positions that he is way overqualified for. Not come to an interview with no clue what positions are open but aren't posted online.

I have been through 4 interviews with another company. Last one I met one of the hiring managers that loved me and told me he was going to be sending me an offer after I spoke with the Plant manager. Plant manager then proceeds to tell me that since I had leadership experience, but not experience in a warehouse that he didn't think I would be a good fit and could only offer me a position as an entry level worker at like $10 an hour to pick orders. This is WAY under what the previous manager said he was going to offer me.

It really can't be that hard to not jerk people around, send some kind of followup after an interview saying thanks but here is what you were missing or even thanks but no, or to have some kind of clue what you are actually going to offer.

I so wish I could go back in the Navy. Unfortunately, once you get out and are disabled like I am, there's no going back.

Ok, rant over. Thanks for reading. Sorry it was long, had to blow off some steam.

Be a saftey director for a trucking company. They usually don't have a clue about anything. Don't read that wrong. More like they just hire people. My personal view is a saftey person for a trucking company should have a cdl and some cmv experience. But hey, I'm just a dumb trucker. Good luck. Try a mopar dealership as well.

nsw#134 ottclub #5 your mom sends her love.

All the trucking companies in my area that are looking for a safety person, require a CDL and a few years driving experience. Looked at service advisor for a few car dealers, since in the Navy I was a diesel mechanic, but since I haven't been a tech for a dealer I guess I don't qualify.

Can't do mechanics any more due to my disablity, so thats out.

Don’t give up and step and repeat. Sometimes going back to same jobs help . Interview then wait ( don’t call everyday ) go back in once a week or two weeks so they know you are a serious person interested in the position. At times the person they see on a day when they need a bit of help is the one that’s chosen ( right place right time can be expanded if you go more often. )

I'm 2 hrs from myrtle beach. Sc isnt that bad. I sure wish I could help. I been blessed. I've been here for right at 28 years. I'm looking to leave but it's to pursue my sign and tint business full time!

Don’t give up and step and repeat. Sometimes going back to same jobs help . Interview then wait ( don’t call everyday ) go back in once a week or two weeks so they know you are a serious person interested in the position. At times the person they see on a day when they need a bit of help is the one that’s chosen ( right place right time can be expanded if you go more often. )

I wait either for the day after they say that I will hear from them, or a week after the interview. Then I either call, if I have their number or email if that is how I was communicating before. Then I wait for either the day after when they will say they will get back to me or another week and repeat.

Oh, forgot to talk about the other horrible interview I went on.

It was a meat processing plant that was looking for a safety person. While sitting in the hallway in the front of the builidng because they didnt have a proper reception/waiting area, I noticed people walking out of the plant covered in animal fluids just walking around the hall. There were boxes every where of supplies that they were digging through. So, interview time comes along and I am already pretty grossed out. I walk into the plant managers office and he is sitting at his desk smoking. WTF? So, through the interview he drops the F bomb a few times and then proceeds to tell me that they like to joke around a lot. He tells me about on instance of the joking that honestly was harrassment in my eyes. It was bad. Then he also says that OSHA thinks that the leadership there doesn't give a f@k about safety. The recruiting agency that I went through for the interview called me after the interview. I told him about it and said I wasn't interested. The job is still posted and this was about a month and a half ago.

They say “one door closes and another opens”. I had heard that expression once from my sister. Easy to say but at the same time difficult to listen to. Took some time to truly understand it, but an opportunity will come up when you least expect it. Follow it brother. Try and surround yourself with encouraging words from other people. Your fellow members here for instance.
Always be grateful for what you have right now.

Latest Posts

Back