• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Juliet lens peeling around orbital

I'm sadden to see my new (to me) Juliets peeing around the edges of the lens. I just received them in perfect condition a few days ago and wore them only once. This is my first pair x-metals - so I'm learning... is this something that should be expected with the product line? It seems to me that having a rigid metal frame that flexes around the lens can expedite wear and tear.

Anyways, looks like I'm going to have to buy new lenses, but if anyone can share tips and tricks to prevent this would be be really appreciated.

View attachment 979126View attachment 979127
Bummer... But the lenses are old. even if they are new. Those lenses have probably been sitting in a box for over 10 years. So only new lenses won't do this again any time soon :) Anything over about 6 or 7 year old is prone to coatings failure. All polycarbonate lenses can do this (hardcoating or iridium failure).

Bummer... But the lenses are old. even if they are new. Those lenses have probably been sitting in a box for over 10 years. So only new lenses won't do this again any time soon :) Anything over about 6 or 7 year old is prone to coatings failure. All polycarbonate lenses can do this (hardcoating or iridium failure).
Thanks for sharing your expertise on this! It totally makes sense for coatings, adhesives, to break down over time and environmental conditions… Sounds like a good reason to have new lenses cut instead of finding OEM. 😉

I’ll send you a DM as soon as I take a look at your post with your available lenses.

If they are OEM lenses in that XM Juliet Frame then they have done well not to have delaminated before.
I know from Chris A advice, The older a lens is, The more likely it is to delamination upon Cutting. Or even fitting into a Frame.
Luckily a replacement from the Aforementioned Lens Guru should be easily attainable.
I obtained Fire Polarized off an "esteemed" Member on here. And they delaminated straight after install.
I have had Penny BI & Switch lenses delaminate (which i guess is more likely with any Moisture causing issues everywhere on those)
I personally on a hot day will take my Lens cleaner and clean my lenses every 2-3 hours to hopefully mitigate this. Seems to be working so far.... 🤞

Never had an LG lens do this BTW.

Do you mean remove the lenses from the frame after each wear? If so, not sure I agree with you. After seeing a lot of iridium failure on frequently swapped lenses, I stopped doing it, and problem solved. I have 14 X-Metals and 7 PB1s, haven't swapped lenses on any of them for 2 or 3 years, hence no coating issues
I would recommend if you daily wear to take lens out every few months and clean the edges gently of lens and clean frame groove w cotton ball

Do you mean remove the lenses from the frame after each wear? If so, not sure I agree with you. After seeing a lot of iridium failure on frequently swapped lenses, I stopped doing it, and problem solved. I have 14 X-Metals and 7 PB1s, haven't swapped lenses on any of them for 2 or 3 years, hence no coating issues
I agree. I have seen delam. right after lens change as well.
But last time two frames got delivered to me back to back during winter withe lenses delam.
So how does that fit in with sweat or sunscreen?
To me it's still not clear why lenses delam.

I agree. I have seen delam. right after lens change as well.
But last time two frames got delivered to me back to back during winter withe lenses delam.
So how does that fit in with sweat or sunscreen?
To me it's still not clear why lenses delam.

Had a Prizm Golf lens that did it after being worn in the rain. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I found my method has increased the longevity of some of my lenses.

Depends on the tightness on the install, and whether the oribital is tight or not.

Flaks for instance, not a problem, Juliet’s a bit more tension on the outer edge on the install.

Lots of different factors at play here, mate.