• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lenses for trekking

I've tried the trail, if I'm not wrong, but it's been an immediate no-no.
Beautiful lens but when I walked outside the store, under direct sunlight, I felt the need to squeeze my eyes, which is a bad sign for me. :/

I thoroughly enjoy DP ... It's not 'the best' but it's an awesome ALL around lens that when matched with the Flak 2.0, feels like I'm wearing nothing at all...

Nothing at all... Nothing at all ... Nothing at all...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:eek:

Come on man, this is a family forum

Hello again my friends!
So, I've been to the store again this morning and tested a few lenses.
Tried a tungsten iridium but it's really not my cup of tea, asked for the VR28BIP but there was no model with this lens *bummer*, so I'll have to wait until next week when hopefully the store should receive a few models.
After trying once more the photochromic lenses and confirmed that they won't work for me, I took some time to play with the Prizm Daily and OO Red iridium pol., which are so far, the most interesting lenses for me.
I reconsidered the PD and I have to say that it's a great lens!
The guy at the store was so kind to let me test both lenses in a garden nearby and I decided to take some pictures showing differences between the two lenses when looking through them.
Going to upload them with my considerations asap.

I'm sorry that pictures are not perfect but I think they could be helpful anyway to see how those lenses work.

Consider that today is a hot super sunny summer day here, so it could be a perfect day for trekking :)

OOREDIRIDPOL-SUNLIGHT.jpg

PRIZMDAILY-SUNLIGHT.jpg

I have to say that under direct sunlight, PD is just awesome! perfect contrast, lots of details and even when you have direct sunlight in your face, eyes feel comfortable.
OO RIP give a little less protection (and I can say that I can feel it a bit when under strong sunlight) but I also love how the world seems a happier place with those lenses! :D

Let's say that so far, PD wins for me.

And there we go with a few pictures taken in the shadow.

OOREDIRIDPOL-SHADOW.jpg

PRIZMDAILY-SHADOW.jpg

Now things get complicated: when wearing lenses in darker places of the garden, I almost prefered how the OO RIP worked.
PD work fine, giving alway a good contrast but sometimes they feel almost a little bit too dark, while OORIP makes everything looks brighter.
Honestly I don't know which one I'd choose here.

I guess that now I only need to test VR28BIP before making a choice!

It's usually hard to take pics of what a base tint looks like, since many cameras autoadjust. Looks like you did a pretty good job.

But it sounds like you're understanding the basic problem with picking an all-around lens - despite the versatility of some of these lenses, nothing is perfect for all conditions; there always has to be a compromise somewhere. The ones that are best for the brightest conditions aren't as strong as others in lower light, and the ones that do better in lower light fall a little short in full sun.

So, if you're going to stick with a single pair, you have to decide which light conditions are more important for better lens performance. Or, you can do what many of us do and carry more than one pair (or more then one lens for a pair that swaps easily).

If you like Prizm Daily and have a hard time getting a hold of VR28BIP to test, don't sweat it, just go with Prizm Daily. Their base tints are quite different but they fill a similar niche. VR28BIP is a much older tint and much closer to a traditional contrast lens. Prizm Daily is new technology; the Prizm line allows them to fine-tune the light frequencies to provide optimized contrast for various activities. It's a suitable choice.

But if you decide to go with a tint that performs better in lower light than bright, OO red is a good choice, but you may want to try Prizm Road in comparison. Unlike OO red, Prizm Road is not polarized, but in an environment without a lot of reflective surfaces that matters less than you might think. Prizm Road's tint is similar to Prizm Daily, only a little brighter and the colors richer; it's quite beautiful IMO. But it's a toss-up; there's been a number of arguments about which (between OO red & Prizm Road) is better and really the bottom line is either one will work.

Here's some comparison pics between OO red & Prizm Road:

Oakley's new Prizm Lens Line

Forgot about OO black iridium polarized. Close to OO RIP, but a bit darker and works slightly better than DP in bright sunlight. Should be worth a shot if you can find a frame with that lens.

Latest Posts

Back