• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Mars crater custom leather wrap

whats the value

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I'm really diggin the madman.
Madman raw ! 24k it's brushe
Your 24k frames look great! Thanks for posting photos.

I'm hoping you might answer a few questions if you get a chance:
1) Did you plate just the orbitals, or the alloy section of the temples, too? I can't see the temples clearly in the photos.
2) If you plated the temples, how did you treat the "O" icons? Did you remove, then re-install them, or did you plate over them, or ...?
3) Did you have any trouble with the movement of the hinge after plating? If so, how did you resolve any clearance issues?

I'm wondering whether it might be worth starting a new thread to show off your plated neXt-metals, because not all OF members who are interested in customizing Badman and Madman frames will look for custom neXt-metals in a thread titled "Mars crater".
the only items plated in gold were the aluminum frame I removed the icons and replaced them back the glasses went back together smoothly .

image.jpeg
View attachment 252519 View attachment 252521 View attachment 252522 View attachment 252523 View attachment 252524 View attachment 252525
Madman raw ! 24k it's brushe

the only items plated in gold were the aluminum frame I removed the icons and replaced them back the glasses went back together smoothly .
I love my Oakley and I did this Oakley did not ! and maybe for good reason ! But I see style change that was needed for a dieing art of there's . Yes bling ! And shinny but also accomplished a style I can accept with the new robot look ? The new Juliet and very cool Mars that are to be released soon . They better make them untouchable by the weak ! Come on Oakley blow me up !!!

Regarding gold plating real x-metals, I believe the guy who did it successfully first had to plate with a base layer, I think nickel, then plate with gold.

You're correct, Kronin. We used to do that at one of the dealer groups I worked for. We could plate the cars emblems in 24kt. Kit came on a little cart with a battery and 3 plastic cans of stuff. You had to hook up pos and neg cables to the emblems and wipe them with the first "rod", which was a metal handheld stick with a pad on the end, to clean the emblem, then the Nickel Activator rod, then finally the gold rod, dip the pad in this stuff that looked like pink jello (the gold in solution) and rub it on the emblem and voila! Gold plated! Pretty cool but stupid on car emblems.

Regarding gold plating real x-metals, I believe the guy who did it successfully first had to plate with a base layer, I think nickel, then plate with gold.
They used nickel to plate first and x metal we're unable to stop bubbling ? Of the gold !!! Was stripped and returned and these guys do things to nasa spec so I don't know anodization is the only way . Xmetal workshop does anodization well but I like GOLD !

They used nickel to plate first and x metal we're unable to stop bubbling ? Of the gold !!! Was stripped and returned and these guys do things to nasa spec so I don't know anodization is the only way . Xmetal workshop does anodization well but I like GOLD !

The guy who was doing it before didn't have bubbling, and I'm talking about the real, original titanium x-metals, not these o-matter and aluminum things that came out the other year that they tried to call x-metals but were not. Those we call "neXt-metals" around here, to differentiate.

But anyway it's a moot point; the guy doesn't do them anymore. I brought it up in case you were trying to do it yourself or something.

The guy who was doing it before didn't have bubbling, and I'm talking about the real, original titanium x-metals, not these o-matter and aluminum things that came out the other year that they tried to call x-metals but were not. Those we call "neXt-metals" around here, to differentiate.

But anyway it's a moot point; the guy doesn't do them anymore. I brought it up in case you were trying to do it yourself or something.
I have be

i have tried everything from 9v batteries strung together to anodize to professional plate company to get the affect on my xs and failed badly . The best and only is offered by xmetal workshop .