• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Mars crater custom leather wrap

whats the value

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Gold plating can be done and same goes for copper plating on old xmetals. They're not easy to do and requires a several hundred dollars of investment in chemicals that are all cyanide based. It's not easy to do properly with durability. But then after all that effort one has to go and clear coat the stuff which is shameful because one may as well just paint it gold and clear coat it

Gold plating can be done and same goes for copper plating on old xmetals. [...] But then after all that effort one has to go and clear coat the stuff [...]

To top it all off, just like the difficulty of getting the plating to adhere to the x-metal frame, you now have to overcome the difficulty of getting the clear coat to adhere to the plating. Especially near the complex curves surrounding the temple hinge, the clear coat can flake off, leaving the plated frame looking a bit splotchy.

The guy who was doing it before didn't have bubbling, and I'm talking about the real, original titanium x-metals, not these o-matter and aluminum things that came out the other year that they tried to call x-metals but were not. Those we call "neXt-metals" around here, to differentiate.

But anyway it's a moot point; the guy doesn't do them anymore. I brought it up in case you were trying to do it yourself or something.

Just want to add that @InfiniteHero took over the plating services after @Ry.1982. He did a few pairs for me, and they are all awesome, my favourite pairs, by far. Unfortunately he is currently unavailable for plating services, which means at this time, no one does gold or copper plating. :(

Here are images of my plated X-metals, R1 gold, Juliet gold and Juliet copper.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg