• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Need tips on tune ups

Ok so I did decide to take matters in my own hands. I did not break anything and overall I think my first tune up on Juliets was a success. To be clear these are my most frequently used x-metal pair so they were not in perfect condition before this either. I only had a small setback when putting back the pins.

I used packaging foam/plastic on top of the bottom part but I recommend using hard rubber instead for anyone since the bottom part actually came a little bit through the foam and made a minor scratch that can be seen in a certain angle.

So what you can learn from my mistakes: don't use paper or plastic/foam to cover the bottom part of the press, use something more durable so that the metal of the press does not come in contact with the frame.

Overall, I knew the risks and still went for it and for me it kinda worked. I personalised my frames to my liking 100% myself and I am happy with the overall look. The scratch is only visible in certain light and a certain angle so I'm not that upset about it (it is exaggerated in pics), after all atleast now I know what not to do next time when fixing juliets.

For someone who is thinking about doing this at home there were really good points made on this thread already and I can only relate. If you only have one X-metal send it to a pro since on the first time doing this it is almost 100% certain that you are not going to be able to do it perfectly.

20231114_190602.jpg

20231114_184830.jpg

20231114_184846.jpg

20231114_184916.jpg

20231114_184923.jpg

20231114_184941.jpg

Its certainly not rocket science. But there are alot of people who cannot do repairs like this...patience eye hand coordination vision etc..... I can certainly change the spark plugs in my car but I pay somebody else to do it because I just don't have the tools.

Its certainly not rocket science. But there are alot of people who cannot do repairs like this...patience eye hand coordination vision etc..... I can certainly change the spark plugs in my car but I pay somebody else to do it because I just don't have the tools.
I agree. If I was in the US I'd definitely just have sent these to you. I don't have anyone to do these repairs near me which is the only reason I decided to do it myself since I do intend to collect x-metals in the future and have a spare pair. I also wouldn't fix anything myself thats really rare.

Ok so I did decide to take matters in my own hands. I did not break anything and overall I think my first tune up on Juliets was a success. To be clear these are my most frequently used x-metal pair so they were not in perfect condition before this either. I only had a small setback when putting back the pins.

I used packaging foam/plastic on top of the bottom part but I recommend using hard rubber instead for anyone since the bottom part actually came a little bit through the foam and made a minor scratch that can be seen in a certain angle.

So what you can learn from my mistakes: don't use paper or plastic/foam to cover the bottom part of the press, use something more durable so that the metal of the press does not come in contact with the frame.

Overall, I knew the risks and still went for it and for me it kinda worked. I personalised my frames to my liking 100% myself and I am happy with the overall look. The scratch is only visible in certain light and a certain angle so I'm not that upset about it (it is exaggerated in pics), after all atleast now I know what not to do next time when fixing juliets.

For someone who is thinking about doing this at home there were really good points made on this thread already and I can only relate. If you only have one X-metal send it to a pro since on the first time doing this it is almost 100% certain that you are not going to be able to do it perfectly.
Nicely done. Me, I put masking tape to all the metal parts to avoid scratches.

Latest Posts

Back