• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Gearbox Unobtainium Strap Durability And Replacement?

CrazyALee

I should Work at Oakley
CA, USA
Hello Gearbox owners. So I've had my gearbox (white dial edition) for about 3 to 3 1/2 years now. I swim with it, shower with it, sleep wearing it. basically have it on almost 24/7. The rubber unobtanium strap is still good, but its showing its age. The texture is more of a shiny rubber now, instead of a "flat" black. It feels somewhat stickier and softer too. Also the little loop band that holds the extra length down has its corners "polished" from all the rubbing and banging due to everyday wear. (A new strap has sharp and edgy corners).

So for you gearbox owners, do you have the same result? Has your strap soften up and gotten more shiny over time, and the edges/corners worn down?

Last, does anyone know if I can order replacement bands from Oakley and if so, how much would it cost? I plan to keep this watch for life. I just bought a titanium/carbon fiber edition one too. And to add, I just replaced the battery for the first time in the white gearbox.

I don't own a Gearbox, but what you describe is typical of unobtainium deterioration. The fact that you showered with it probably slowed the process.

@BriP, any input?

I've had mine for 4 years, only time i haven't worn mine was when the crown pin actually popped out!. My band is similar to yours, but not sticky/soft though.

hello

i didn't had any problems so far with my gearboxes, but how knows.
you can get a replacement band from Oakley. it will be around 30 bucks...

yup thats just unobtainium degradation. you have to frequently SOAP and clean off sweat from the band if you want it to last. I would go as far as to daily wash it thoroughly if you do wear it daily.

I have a gearbox, but its in the case most of the time; i use the TB2 instead.

hot tip - while straps are still available, grab a bunch ($30? thats cheeapppp!) before stuff gets discontinued, like so many before...

So heres a comparison shot of a new strap vs a 3 1/2 year old strap, worn almost 24/7 everywhere lol. How do I go about ordering replacment straps? Just email oakley customer service and ask? I dont see anything on their website regarding replacemetn parts.

DSC05135_zpsb1bf7bb7.jpg

If your able to find a strap that they will ship to you through warranty let me know , been on the lookout for a white unobtanium strap for too long now (last two times I called the associate wanted me to send my watch in and it was going to take about a month and cost more than $30!). Good luck!

I am also curious about the replacement straps. Every time that I have called the Oakley warranty department about replacement parts for watches, they tell me to send it in for the replacement. I have never spoken with a representative that would send me any replacement parts for any of my watches without having to ship my watches directly to Oakley.

I am also curious about the replacement straps. Every time that I have called the Oakley warranty department about replacement parts for watches, they tell me to send it in for the replacement. I have never spoken with a representative that would send me any replacement parts for any of my watches without having to ship my watches directly to Oakley.

So they emailed back saying " If you would like to set up a service order please contact our Customer Care department at (800) 403-7449. Our representatives will be able to let you know what options are available for your Gearbox"
And so I called and basically they told me the same thing, that I would need to send my watch in to get a replacement strap because they switch it out themselves. Although its extremely easy to do. I've taken it apart to clean it. Just need 2 flathead screwdrivers. The representative told me at this time they do not sell replacement accessory parts by themselves so the watch needs to be sent in. The only accessory for watches they sell at this time are the face-plates for the new watch that recently came out..i think its called the killswitch

Guess I'll just keep wearing this watch til one day this beast of a strap breaks. Can easily go another 3.5 years im guessing.

Latest Posts

Back