• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley how about some classic reissues??

I love to see that others have not lost the dream. While it would be far fetched to ever see another X Metal, there might still be hope for a re-issue of O Matter frames like the Eye Jacket. Don't think it would be tough to do, but just don't think they would be big sellers either, and that is what Lux is about. The older styles like Eye Jackets, Trench Coats, Minutes, etc are just dated styles. That said. I just don't know if they would be big sellers, though I would pick up a pair or two (as long as price is reasonable).

This concept has been discussed before and, in principle, it's not only a good idea but one already the norm in the sneaker realm where Retros are as popular now as they ever have been. Now granted that's due in large part to the BIRGing that comes with those being associated with perhaps the single greatest athlete and competitor in any sport and some timeless sports moments but it shows such is a potentially lucrative strategy.

That said? The difference is that the primary driving force in such when it comes to sneakers is still involved whereas JJ is gone and his vision has been raped and killed off by Lux. I have no doubt were he still involved something like this would be happening (though to an extent I think there'd be less clamoring for it to an extent because we'd have desirable new product keeping us satisfied) but all of us have to accept that the Golden Era (post going public, pre Lux sale basically 1997-2007) is gone and it ain't coming back.

Instead we get stuff like the completely bizzare debut of the Badman and Madman (check YouTube it's there) where some guy that seemed to be acting out some crazed mad scientist role blah blahed about the amazing history and product traits of X Metals none of which had anything to do with the new product they were rolling out. It's one thing to speak to design DNA it's something altogether different to yap about a high tech secret plant where they're made when what you're rolling out isn't even made there and you don't even own said facility anymore. That's pathetic and to an extent thats what Lux has done to the O- made it a pathetic, pussified also ran brand.

@ucdavis4PT0gpa, what is BIRG?

Agreed with the rest for your points. We'll be less sad when we all realize that the good old days are behind us and will never be back. Embrace the new crap or enjoy the classics and reminisce...But time to let the fantasy go lol

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Basking in Reflected Glory is a concept that has its roots primarily in social psychology (specifically social identity theory) as well as the subcategory within the field of Communication which deals with non verbal communication.

In a nutshell it's a self-serving cognition whereby an individual associates themselves with known successful others such that the winner's success becomes the individual's own accomplishment. The affiliation of another's success is enough to stimulate self glory. The individual does not need to be personally involved in the successful action. To BIRG, they must simply associate themselves with the success. Examples of BIRGing include anything from sharing a home state with a past or present famous person, to religious affiliations, to sports teams and wearing sports players jerseys, shoes or endorsed products. Other examples involve wearing certain logos - the Swoosh, Jumpman, Oakley Ellipse, or any other recognizable brand logo where a certain set of meanings or image is associated and which is then projected non verbally to others as part of one's self identity or the narrative which we wish to present to others.

If Lux had balls, they would reissue the OTT and watch it sell in small numbers just like it did back in the day :rolleyes::(
Nah, it'd be impossible for them to "get it right". They'd never be able to register a "win" for the brand.

If it's too similar, people will complain that it's forcing original OTT prices down and that it was just a cheap cash grab. And then everyone will complain.

If it's too radically different, people will complain that it's not true to the homage it's trying to elicit and that it's just a cheap cash grab. And then everyone will complain.

Either way, people will complain that it's not like the Oakley of old with numerous pictures of botched paint jobs, poor plastic imperfections and superfine scratches, because manufacturing will be in China and not the ol' US of A!!!!

Nah, it'd be impossible for them to "get it right". They'd never be able to register a "win" for the brand.

If it's too similar, people will complain that it's forcing original OTT prices down and that it was just a cheap cash grab. And then everyone will complain.

If it's too radically different, people will complain that it's not true to the homage it's trying to elicit and that it's just a cheap cash grab. And then everyone will complain.

Either way, people will complain that it's not like the Oakley of old with numerous pictures of botched paint jobs, poor plastic imperfections and superfine scratches, because manufacturing will be in China and not the ol' US of A!!!!
Damned if you do, Damned if you don't.

Sent from Q's Note5

Some nice points brought up. BIRG is a thing, yet I do see the point that Lux is overlooking the potential of retro appeal with Oakley's more dedicated fan base. They're a multi-billion dollar company, and testing the waters likely wouldn't hurt much at all. X-Metals probably can't happen because of production costs, but OTT's in particular....

Hash those out at a reasonably inflated price, make limited volumes (serialized if that adds up to worthwhile profit margins — just make sure there's more than Frank can buy out), add effort to packaging. even sell lenses separately at semi-inflated prices....I bet a lot of people can't resist because availability options of OTT's are limited in the market. The allure of having a fresh one can justify the price to many. No offense to anyone trying to sell their originals, but end of the day the brand isn't making squat off your private resales, and people who want a pair just to have one don't care about value outside of their own.

As an analogy with sneakers: would you prefer an OG unworn/deadstock pair of Jordans with cracking midsoles and yellowing outsoles? or a retro that's fresh out of the factory, comes with a less-inflated price, and comes with the chance of doubling up so you can shelf one and beat up the other? It's a win-win on both sides of the spectrum. Nike gets business out of consumers trying to satisfy their nostalgia or sentimentalism. It's not totally manipulative either, because it's not like people can take a time machine to like 20 years ago with the money they have now. Just as long as the brand doesn't pull some bull **** shortcut, or set otherworldly premiums.*

*Adjusting Jordan's or other key retro sneakers for inflation actually kinda break even, or sometimes come out cheaper now — it's just that the profit margins increased.

Nice analogy @Ventruck.
It does make sense. Although i have to point out that carefully using a sunglasses is really not comparable in carefully wearing a sneaker. I am also sure that the shelf life of any sneaker is way way shorter than oak glasses. What I'm trying to point out is that enthusiast who will either shelf it or use it is very different for sunglasses and sneakers, thus the choice of having an og versus new production is very easy for sneakers unlike for sunglasses. Hope i made sense.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk

Some nice points brought up. BIRG is a thing, yet I do see the point that Lux is overlooking the potential of retro appeal with Oakley's more dedicated fan base. They're a multi-billion dollar company, and testing the waters likely wouldn't hurt much at all. X-Metals probably can't happen because of production costs, but OTT's in particular....

Hash those out at a reasonably inflated price, make limited volumes (serialized if that adds up to worthwhile profit margins — just make sure there's more than Frank can buy out), add effort to packaging. even sell lenses separately at semi-inflated prices....I bet a lot of people can't resist because availability options of OTT's are limited in the market. The allure of having a fresh one can justify the price to many. No offense to anyone trying to sell their originals, but end of the day the brand isn't making squat off your private resales, and people who want a pair just to have one don't care about value outside of their own.

As an analogy with sneakers: would you prefer an OG unworn/deadstock pair of Jordans with cracking midsoles and yellowing outsoles? or a retro that's fresh out of the factory, comes with a less-inflated price, and comes with the chance of doubling up so you can shelf one and beat up the other? It's a win-win on both sides of the spectrum. Nike gets business out of consumers trying to satisfy their nostalgia or sentimentalism. It's not totally manipulative either, because it's not like people can take a time machine to like 20 years ago with the money they have now. Just as long as the brand doesn't pull some bull **** shortcut, or set otherworldly premiums.*

*Adjusting Jordan's or other key retro sneakers for inflation actually kinda break even, or sometimes come out cheaper now — it's just that the profit margins increased.
Some excellent points @Ventruck!!

Yeah, I wish they'd release more truly numbered limited editions for the public (as opposed to 5 pieces for athletes). The only one that comes to mind is the madman raw.

Oakley did bring out "new" X-metals, the Badman and Madman. Not sure it was really a hit with the purists, though. In fact I'm pretty sure despite the X-metal pricing, it was widely disparaged.

In fact, the Madman wasn't even approved for use in Australia, and was therefore never released here!!!

Apart from the aviator type frames, have there even been any "metal" frames released?

@motoGP_fanatic. I agree with your points too. Old Jordans will only maintain their value in mint condition. Unlike Oakleys, they really drop badly in value once they're used because they "wear" out and you definitely can't get replacement parts for the sole etc.

Latest Posts

Back