• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Product Origins

Like Batwolf said Oakley was following Apple's lead and not allowing quality to be affected. Again it was not a decision taken lightly, but supply was far below demand, action had to be taken.

That's laughable. There is a very big difference between Chinese and American engineering and manufacturing practices. Based on personal experience I can tell you Apple's Chinese assembly plant throws out a ton of faulty product every day. The last place I worked was doing a project for their caseback supplier and we requested 50 parts for testing. They gave us 100 "production run" (since that was how they were packaged) and we had to get 300 more before we had enough within tolerance to test with. I had to sit and take measurements and photograph my equipment to show them 70-something from the first batch were well off the mark.

Why do you think Apple's policy is to just give people a new phone all the time? They cost pennies to make and it's cheaper to hand over a new phone than pay the American labor to fix faulty components.

Another company I worked with rejects up to 25% of incoming shipments of generators from their Chinese and Taiwanese plants.

With the lower cost of labor and materials they can still afford to push production out fast and reject 50% of parts due to quality issues. Which is odd since there's more of a general "don't waste" mentality from the higher ups that will ship faulty product regardless and hope it passes, while the workforce is underfunded, undertrained, overworked, understaffed, undereducated... It's a pretty vicious environment in most Asian manufacturing facilities I'm familiar with.

I don't have info on a frame by frame basis. We were told O Matter frames and lenses would still be primarily Made in USA.

The backorder issue was a problem a year or two ago. The problem was seen more from a retailer POV than a customer one. Sales reps could not fulfill orders for popular styles. Basically the factory couldn't keep up with demand.

With the lower cost of labor and materials they can still afford to push production out fast and reject 50% of parts due to quality issues. Which is odd since there's more of a general "don't waste" mentality from the higher ups that will ship faulty product regardless and hope it passes, while the workforce is underfunded, undertrained, overworked, understaffed, undereducated... It's a pretty vicious environment in most Asian manufacturing facilities I'm familiar with.
I hear ya.
Heh...If Jim Jannard were dead, he'd be turning over in his grave.
o_O

I wonder how being "Made in China" will impact the knock- off market...

Better access to the manufacturing equipment usually means better fakes... :headbang:

Excerpts from a couple posts I made on the subject in another thread:

You (more than likely) have NO IDEA what is going on. You've made assumptions and jumped to conclusions. I'm not saying they're off base, but you still aren't tapped in to a direct line of knowledge on the subject.

There's a really bad rash of "screw Lux, Oakley is diluting themselves" going around the boards. Yes, some of it is patently obvious. Yes, it's reasonable to assume that to maintain profits they have to both increase prices and decrease costs. It's a fact of life. The company I work for is working out new pricing structures right now, which includes both raising prices and lowering costs.

If you have facts please present them. Are you sure 100% of what you're saying as it applies to Oakley's source for manufacturing today is correct? If you're not 100% sure DO NOT PRESENT UNCERTAINTY AS FACT.

I'm just getting really tired of the recent string of comments people are making on the subject of Oakley and it's Chinese business. 99% of which are based on conjecture.

It's a load of bull and getting people worked up without having all the facts.

Back