• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!
Funny thing is, I used to put the razor blades on the top of my head all the time in high school. Those lenses never peeled. I buy a new pair today and in less than a month they start flaking ok both front and back. I constantly clean them to get the oils off with water and or Oakley only cleaning solution. Something happened along the way in the process in how the lenses are being made.

It is mainly because there are more coatings on lenses these days than 20 or 30 years ago. They provide extra functionality such as slightly greater scratch resistance and anti-reflectiveness but that just means more things can go wrong. It is like saying cars never had any issues with touchscreens in the ‘50s but there are problem with touchscreens today. Well...there weren’t any touchscreens in cars in the ‘50s to cause additional problems. Same thing with lenses....there weren’t the same amount of coatings back then to go wrong.

After thinking the issue related to sunscreen, skin oils for many years and believing it was my fault I now know it's just an Oakley product issue. Regardless of how well you clean them the lenses will bubble and deteriorate, this does not happen to any of my other sunglasses. I've owned countless Oakleys and they all had the same issue over time (I use mainly for cycling), small bubbles appearing. Even ones that are hardly worn. Don't get me wrong, the design of Oakleys are some of the best in the market... but until they finally decide to resolve this issue I will not purchase any more. Why Oakley continues to manufacture and sell them knowing this common issue is criminal. Their marketing does wonders...

After thinking the issue related to sunscreen, skin oils for many years and believing it was my fault I now know it's just an Oakley product issue. Regardless of how well you clean them the lenses will bubble and deteriorate, this does not happen to any of my other sunglasses. I've owned countless Oakleys and they all had the same issue over time (I use mainly for cycling), small bubbles appearing. Even ones that are hardly worn. Don't get me wrong, the design of Oakleys are some of the best in the market... but until they finally decide to resolve this issue I will not purchase any more. Why Oakley continues to manufacture and sell them knowing this common issue is criminal. Their marketing does wonders...
I have pairs that were never worn and the lenses are deteriorating. It’s freaking disgusting and pisses me off like other people!!

I know. It's so frustrating. Crazy thing is, the vintage lenses from razor blades and what not, don't do this. So why do all the newer lenses do it?

It's been 3 years since my last Oakley Radars which I sold off before the lenses deteriorated. I recently went to 2 local Oakley shops, both run by Oakley themselves. I saw some new designs that looked great, but knowing past issues I mentioned to the Sales people about my bad experience with bubbling/peeling. They nonchalantly then proceeded to agree with me, yes it's an issue with our glasses they said....... however we have a 2 year warranty (2 different shops agreeing that they have quality issues). I was a bit dismayed that a known defect still hasn't been corrected after all these years so came to this forum to try to understand what others thought. Anyways... that's my rant..

Delaminating lenses.jpg

Back