• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley will continue to impress with R2 release (2nd release for 2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I just want to point out that unless you're sitting on them or slamming them in car doors or beating on them with a hammer (none of which are recommended use) aluminum is above and beyond durable for a sunglasses frame. They'll hold up to sitting on your head and the absent minded drop just as well as titanium. And they're half the weight on your face. Again I'm not trying to disagree necessarily or call out your comment, I just think the durability argument against the new metals is a little overblown.

I've accepted that they are what they are. Hence the greater interest in additional frame styles.

I've accepted that they are what they are. Hence the greater interest in additional frame styles.
Yeah agreed. I just think we all loved the "cool factor" of saying our glasses were titanium so much that it's tainting our enjoyment of the new generation. I have issues with the new ones (namely the loose fit) but none of them are materials based. I'm looking forward to the supposed 3rd metal release in R2.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I just want to point out that unless you're sitting on them or slamming them in car doors or beating on them with a hammer (none of which are recommended use) aluminum is above and beyond durable for a sunglasses frame. They'll hold up to sitting on your head and the absent minded drop just as well as titanium. And they're half the weight on your face. Again I'm not trying to disagree necessarily or call out your comment, I just think the durability argument against the new metals is a little overblown.

Not is overblown for me. Xmetal has always been the top of the oakley line. The highest prices, the best technologies and the best materials. In badman/madman, o-matter is the sacrifice to make posible these designs(without the problems of the old xmetals) and to get higher profit margins. I think xmetals have to have the best that oakley could put in a frame. Carbon fiber with aluminum or other metals and screwless designs( much more durable that traditional sistem of badman/madman). For me, now this is the best combination posible to make a pair of sunglasses.

Not is overblown for me. Xmetal has always been the top of the oakley line. The highest prices, the best technologies and the best materials. In badman/madman, o-matter is the sacrifice to make posible these designs(without the problems of the old xmetals) and to get higher profit margins. I think xmetals have to have the best that oakley could put in a frame. Carbon fiber with aluminum or other metals and screwless designs( much more durable that traditional sistem of badman/madman). For me, now this is the best combination posible to make a pair of sunglasses.
True that durability-wise the O-matter is the weak link. But my guess is the stems and nose bridge will be available to purchase like the ear socks and nose bombs were, so in that sense the new metals will be more convenient to repair than having to send the old x-metals in to Oakley was for tune-ups. One thing I do think is the new school should just be called metals. To me X-metal was titanium and oakley's method of custom molding it. X-metal was innovation. The new ones are just metals. But that feeling has no connection to perceived durability (for the application of sunglasses) between the two materials. With that I'll refrain from further hijacking this thread.

I've posted elsewhere that I hope/expect the o-matter parts will be considered "wear" items and hopefully will become available as replacement parts.

I'm beginning to think that won't be the case, though. Repairable under warranty, maybe, but not as replacement parts. Why? One, I'm unaware of Oakley releasing o-matter replacement parts to the general public before (though they may have and I didn't know about it). Two, all the frame markings are on the o-matter - SKU/size on the stems and XRaw serial on the nosebridge. That second fact alone is enough to make me think they're not expected to wear out, like rubbers.

I might agree more accept the new metals aren't all metal which means the durability issues are IMO MORE likely to present than an all metal or even all O-Matter frame. There's been those who have stated that the O-Matter portions "solve" the rigid issue on the nosebridge that cause the stress fractured lenses on the R1, the need for a loosens over time coupler on the Juliet, R2 (and modified variant on the XS). No it doesn't. If you're joining O-Matter with metal, saying its to solve a flex issue then claiming durability won't be an issue, you're fooling yourself. We've seen issues with such designs before (notably the Splice) with this design and if you're doing it on purpose at a flex point, you will have problems. In some years- don't know how many but not that many- we'll start to see failures at the metal/O-Matter screw points-especially those two top ones-if not outright breakage.

All this aside, depends on your definition of durability. The X-Metals were the ultimate in durability-that's one of the reason many of us love them so much. I've bought thrashed X-Metal frames, especially R1's, and broken them down and refurbished them with little effort and minimal cost; even if the finish is toast, there's several ways to redo the finish. Someone is not going to be able to buy a Badman in 2015 and 15 years later after wearing it to death and knocking it on things and tossing it in drawers and getting it wet etc be able to bring it back to life- not with these hybrid materials. The fact is the Badman/Madman and any other models like them have a FINITE LIFESPAN- X-Metals do NOT. Even if the new metals were ALL metal like say the O-Luminum, I'd say the durability gap would be closed but there would still be a gap-but with O-Matter? No. Its PLASTIC people...plastic vs. titanium alloy? After a decade plus of use still being even structurally sound not to mention cosmetically sound?? Right. This totally ignores discussing the spring hinges which Oakley doesn't have a particularly good track record with and which have a finite life span as well; and its sure a hell of a lot harder to repair and aftermarket part a spring hinge vs. an X-Metal hinge.

And weight? Some of us don't care about weight. In fact some of us LIKE it; I LIKE that I can FEEL the X-Metals...they feel industrial, solid, strong, substantial, invincible- like I could go to hell and back, thrash them, bring them back to life and go to hell and back again. Same way I prefer my solid rear axle Mustang to this new 2015 IRS equipped one- that's part of the appeal and feel and fun of the car. Its a bit rough around the edges, a bit clunky...but the damn thing will last forever and is easy to repair (anyone that's had to work on a solid axle vs. IRS knows what I'm talking about)---THAT'S X-Metals.

I know I'm beating the dead horse and people likely don't want to hear it anymore from me or those who are of the same mind as me-but me personally will never stand by and not push back against the claim that these new "metals" can hold a candle to the original X-Metal line. There's NO lineage here other than the name and a slight design nod on the nosebridge (which frankly looks tossed in at the last minute as if they did a prototype without it and thought-oh that looks like any other lifestyle frame we crank out for a year then discontinue); Oakley is continuing to trade and market on its pre 2007, pre Lux philosophy but without the true vision, creativity and balls of the JJ led era.

So no, I'm not impressed nor have I been impressed for sometime- I'm generally not impressed by devolution which is what has been happening at O now for a solid 5 to 8 years.

True that durability-wise the O-matter is the weak link. But my guess is the stems and nose bridge will be available to purchase like the ear socks and nose bombs were, so in that sense the new metals will be more convenient to repair than having to send the old x-metals in to Oakley was for tune-ups. One thing I do think is the new school should just be called metals. To me X-metal was titanium and oakley's method of custom molding it. X-metal was innovation. The new ones are just metals. But that feeling has no connection to perceived durability (for the application of sunglasses) between the two materials. With that I'll refrain from further hijacking this thread.

For me some of iconic frames (tincan carbon/tinfoil carbon, carbon blade) are better than new "x-metal" in fit, materials, durability...you touch these frames and you really feel more value. And they have lower price tag...something is wrong with new xmetals...

No love at all for the carbon blade??

The Carbon Blade is one of the few lines I've actually considered but still-no. Too generic looking. I've worn the Blade and say the new Wiretap side by side and to my eye and people who I've asked blind which they prefer- nobody thinks the Blade is all that special. I get the exotic material etc. and maybe if you were into CF or say Ferrari's okay but otherwise...not interested. And the price is too high for what you get for ME. Granted BNIB but no box Scuderia's can be had for $250 or even less but....I'd rather buy old stock O-Luminum Hatchets and custom cut lenses for those or put the money towards an X-Metal than buy a Blade---ESPECIALLY given, isn't Oakley having QC/durability issues in the hinge area on those?

I personally love the Carbon Blade and Tincan Carbon. I didn't really care for the Carbon Blade the first time I tried it on, even though I love carbon fiber. I ended up buying a pair though and I really love them. The Tincan Carbon might be one of the best pairs to come out in quite a while. It's comfortable and has aluminum and carbon fiber in it. The screwless hinges on it are also nice. Going forward, I think there will definitely be some neat materials, but I feel like Oakley is also focusing on making the items not wear out as fast. The X Metals had the problems of wearing down in the nose and that can be annoying to some people. Personally it isn't a big deal because you can just have someone fix it up and it's good as new. I'm not too sure where I want to see Oakley head towards, but I would really like to see them get back to making crazy iconic products and I think they did a good job with that in the Badman and Madman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back