• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Penny / Copper

andr3

Oakley Expert
Hamburg
Admittedly, I found out these existed only recently. And I must say, they just look amazing! I am blown away.

Can anybody tell me more about these, e.g. I guess it's a copper coating upon an x metal frame, right? I suppose pure copper would be too heavy (and if it wasn't an alloy, also too soft).
Are there any problems with the copper coating, like it coming off or discolorations you'd see on plasmas or easily identifiable scratches as on x metals?
Do you ever get green rust on them?

Don't think the corrosion is green, however they do turn a 'smutty' brown over time and lose there polished look when handled.

Admittedly, I found out these existed only recently. And I must say, they just look amazing! I am blown away.

Can anybody tell me more about these, e.g. I guess it's a copper coating upon an x metal frame, right? I suppose pure copper would be too heavy (and if it wasn't an alloy, also too soft).
Are there any problems with the copper coating, like it coming off or discolorations you'd see on plasmas or easily identifiable scratches as on x metals?
Do you ever get green rust on them?

@Wicked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a copper coloured coating rather than actual copper. Though some of us have actual copper plated x-metals, that’s not something that Oakley made.

There’s not enough copper in the OEM Pennys for verdigris to form. It’s a possibility for the plated aftermarket ones but those tend to be clearcoated to prevent that sort of patina.

Last edited:
Ah, thanks, that's quite interesting. How come people copper plate their Pennys themselves? Does it look better than the OEM coating? Do you happen to have a comparison photo?

Last edited:
D467A9D2-FF27-46A5-9629-D4AD7B7D49A2.jpeg

@RonkPM Custom-Copper Juliet.

Juliet’s are already a work of art, Cory enhances them!

Ah, thanks, that's quite interesting. How come people copper plate their Pennys themselves? Does it look better than the OEM coating? Do you happen to have a comparison photo?
I think the raw copper look is nicer than the OEM Penny.

I found one pic of mine: Juliet Purchases Since Joining The Forum

Thought I had other pics but can’t find them at the mo. Other people have had them done too, a search for Juliet copper would turn up more.

As to why, it’s a mix of wanting something a bit different and simply because we can! There’s a lot of interesting stuff being done on the forum, custom frames, anodising, modern Oakley lenses cut to fit classic glasses (I have some six or so pairs of Prizm lenses in Juliets for instance). You’ve come to the right place. Your wallet may disagree ;)

They stand out quite well in a group shot too: Ever wonder what 39 pairs of Juliets look like?

Last edited: