• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Prizm Road Rant!

kmbijit

I should Work at Oakley
So, I got my first pair of Prizm Road on a Targetline frame, hoping to make it a driving pair that'll stay in the car...

"Engineered to help you see subtle changes in road texture and quickly spot hazards like rocks and potholes"

First off, the Iridium didn't turn out to be red as I had seen on one of the showpieces at the mall, but a very blue tint (which fortunately was still legit as confirmed by @IAMOBS). The iridium was pretty faint leaving my eyes visible - not a deal breaker though.

But what really turned me off was the the rosy hue that made the world feel like I was wearing girlie glasses. My eyes didn't get "adjusted" to the tint like they do with other lenses. Eg, 5 minues after I'd worn my DWPs, I'd forget they're even there, they feel so natural. Didn't happen with Road, the pinkishness is persistent. Talking of contrast, there is a bit of pop to it, but then DWP or Sapphire are equally good at upping the contrast. Oh, did I mention that this lens didn't do anything spectacular in terms of reading the road texture and spotting hazards? That's something my Sapphires and DWPs did equally well.

The weather yesterday allowed me to test the lens under several lighting conditions. Was it good for Sunny days? No, it had too high VLT%, it was too bright and to some extent bothersome. On cloudy days? Again was a dud, made the world too cold. I'd prefer Tungsten or Trail on a cloudy day. The only scenario I found this lens actually good was when the sun was golden and warm, but not strong enough - mornings and late afternoons.

Others who have used Prizm Road - what's your experience? What justifies the "road-specific" tag this lens brags, when other lenses perform much better? Do cyclists look for something else on the road, that motorcyclists and drivers do not look for?

Last edited by a moderator:
6FD8A140-E57D-4464-9FFD-CE60186F1AD4.png
9182E9C4-3256-432D-81BE-7122DB3C2461.png

Just got these for my Flak 2.0’s.

I will chip in with my two Cents once I have test driven them!

Do cyclists look for something else on the road, that motorcyclists and drivers do not look for?

Uhm yes ......... small cracks in the road, small stones and rocks, you know, anything that can cause you to crash on your bike.

And roots and holes etc. when you on a mountain bike in the woods.

If the prizm road lens was darker, it would serve no purpose.

Also, But what really turned me off was the the rosy hue that made the world feel like I was wearing girlie glasses.

Many oakley lenses have a rose hue , including the shooting specific lenses
https://www.oakleysi.com/en-us/product/W0OO9014SI?variant=888392407443

So if these guys wear rose lenses, without going: eww, girls glasses! I think you can relax ....... :)

I was confused by this statement as well since he goes on to say he likes the rose hue on DWP. :idk:
Guess it's too rosy...

I was confused by this statement as well since he goes on to say he likes the rose hue on DWP. :idk:
Guess it's too rosy...

The rose hue on most other Prizms like Daily or PBIP, when combined with their lower VLT%, makes them feel lot nicer on the eyes. DWP isn't exactly rosy, its more of a mellow copper tint.

@Tomtucker haven't seen a TR22 in real life, but I believe it should be closer to G26 with a higher % of magenta to it. Personally, I wouldn't mind a G26 for the road, in spite of it's extreme tint.

Uhm yes ......... small cracks in the road, small stones and rocks, you know, anything that can cause you to crash on your bike.

The equation remains the same, I'd look for the same things if I were on a motorcycle hurtling down faster than 120kph! A pothole or a stone would make me crash lot more nastier!

the rosy purple tint specifically brings out the most contrast and details in pavement, which to road cyclists is a matter of winning the race, or getting their face cheese grated off. They also make Road Black which is just a darker road with black iridium but only in a few sport performance frames. I also just got to look at the new Road Jade lenses on a flak 2.0 which I think is similar to G26

Latest Posts

Back