• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Savitars should I go polarised vs non polarised

Oh I might have been unclear
I meant too bright from the outside.

Eg. The blue lens looks cool and I love it but turning up to a dinner or driving, I don't want to look like I've come off the sports field or looking like a "punk"

I found the silver lens to be a bit too blingy, but I am getting used to it
Your overthinking it buddy! Just take what you think looks nicest and don’t care what others might think:)

so im standing outside the house, and comparing the polarised grey vs polarised saphire,

and when I put them on, I swear the grass looks noticeably greener in the sapphire, while a lot more duller with polarised grey,

am I high on something?

so im standing outside the house, and comparing the polarised grey vs polarised saphire,

and when I put them on, I swear the grass looks noticeably greener in the sapphire, while a lot more duller with polarised grey,

am I high on something?

They're both grey bases, but the iridium coating on the front can alter the color somewhat based on what colors are being reflected away from your eyes. Also since they're both "Prizm" they have a contrast enhancing tint to them, though more subtle on the grey bases than on others, for example Bronze such as found in Tungsten and Rose gold has the strongest contrast. Prizm Rose Gold to me actually has a slightly greener appearance to Tungsten, most likely because of a lot of the yellow being reflected away from the eyes.

Rose based lenses like Prizm Deep Water, Prizm Daily, Prizm Trail, etc are in the middle usually and warmer leaning, typically. Bronze also tends to be the warmest, but Ruby is a bronze base too and goes much colder because a lot of red and orange is reflected away from your eyes.

So with Sapphire which still feels pretty neutral to me (I'm a big fan of wearing Tungsten, Trail, Shallow Water, and lately Marine which is probably the mildest of my choices), is probably going to pop the greens a little bit if there's a fair bit of glare on foliage especially if it's more in the blue light range.

If you really want to see greens pop like crazy, you wear Tungsten. But if you want reds, oranges, and rust colors to pop like you're on acid, Prizm Trail.

am I high on something?
Put Prizm Trail (Not Torch Trail) during the fall and you’ll really feel high🤣🤣🤣

Put Prizm Trail (Not Torch Trail) during the fall and you’ll really feel high🤣🤣🤣
Indeed. Trail Torch mutes much of the red end so that it doesn't feel as bright. Even though they're 1% difference in visible light transmission, it's definitely letting in a lot more than 36% light on the red end of the non-Torch version.

You do get used to it after a while and it's not so trippy after a couple months, but does make everything pleasantly warm and punchy, and skies tend to lean a little more cyan (where as it's kind of purple-ish under Tungsten or Rose Gold).

They're both grey bases, but the iridium coating on the front can alter the color somewhat based on what colors are being reflected away from your eyes. Also since they're both "Prizm" they have a contrast enhancing tint to them, though more subtle on the grey bases than on others, for example Bronze such as found in Tungsten and Rose gold has the strongest contrast. Prizm Rose Gold to me actually has a slightly greener appearance to Tungsten, most likely because of a lot of the yellow being reflected away from the eyes.

Rose based lenses like Prizm Deep Water, Prizm Daily, Prizm Trail, etc are in the middle usually and warmer leaning, typically. Bronze also tends to be the warmest, but Ruby is a bronze base too and goes much colder because a lot of red and orange is reflected away from your eyes.

So with Sapphire which still feels pretty neutral to me (I'm a big fan of wearing Tungsten, Trail, Shallow Water, and lately Marine which is probably the mildest of my choices), is probably going to pop the greens a little bit if there's a fair bit of glare on foliage especially if it's more in the blue light range.

If you really want to see greens pop like crazy, you wear Tungsten. But if you want reds, oranges, and rust colors to pop like you're on acid, Prizm Trail.
hmmm, im fairly inexperienced with lens, ive been an oakley fan for a fair while but almost the first time im actually wearing a pair.

is the colour enhancing-ness a bit gimmicky? eg does it lose its appeal after a while?

I must admit, seeing the greens and reds pop out with the polarised blue and gold lens is pretty cool but it sort of looks a bit fakeish,

now im confused as to which I should choose :p
i had my mind set of hte grey polarised lens, but now the blue/gold with the colours popping up is tempting me too!

i wont be using them for sport or anything fast, so Iguess the ones that are pleasurable on the eyes is a high priority

hmmm, im fairly inexperienced with lens, ive been an oakley fan for a fair while but almost the first time im actually wearing a pair.

is the colour enhancing-ness a bit gimmicky? eg does it lose its appeal after a while?

I must admit, seeing the greens and reds pop out with the polarised blue and gold lens is pretty cool but it sort of looks a bit fakeish,

i had my mind set of hte grey polarised lens, but now the blue/gold with the colours popping up is tempting me too!

i wont be using them for sport or anything fast, so Iguess the ones that are pleasurable on the eyes is a high priority
Hasn’t lost its appeal on me, not gimmicky at all. I love my grey lenses, but my different Prizm lenses are just awesome to wear. I prefer the warmer lenses (bronze and rose based). Deep water is probably my favorite.

As TNRedbeard said, definitely not gimmicky, works off the same kind of principle of how your eyes adjust to different white balances. Walking into a room with Warm White light bulbs, and then into a room with daylight bulbs. White still appears white to you, but certain colors may seem more vivid or clearer.

So with the tints they come up with it's aimed at changing contrast and making some things pop out more than others.

I would say that the appeal is still there, you just get more 'comfortable' with it, and it's not as much a shock, especially once you have an expectation of what you're going to get when you put them on. My Prizm Maritime kind of leans a little cool-ish neutral when the day is mostly overcast, but when the sun comes out it's causes some colors to be a bit more clearer or contrast, while seemingly neutral (Prizm Daily would be more neutral but still slight warm leaning with the pop) but it's not overall as contrasty as my tungsten lens. My Tungsten lens give me the warmer 'golden hour' feel most of the day, certain colors have more details to them when they're not so blended as the same hue. But with Tungsten while they're good for variable conditions, they tend to be a tad harder to see shadow details due to the higher contrast.

Tungsten is actually quite nice in an urban environment, but can sometimes feel a little overpowering out in the country side with all the foliage. I like Prizm Shallow water for closer to that golden hour look, but it dulls the greens a tiny bit separating the different hues more.

Long Story Short : You kind of have to see it for yourself, since your eyes/brain is not going to adjust to it at the same pace as everyone else. For me it's hard to go to something that's Not Prizm, and it's the main reason I would buy modern Oakley (And I have prizm lenses cut for my older ones I recently got).

Just do what we do. Buy a hundred different models and try all the different lenses😜😜😜 We are addicted. Have to try ‘em all🤩🤩🤩

Latest Posts

Back